Respected Contributor

My Mom had Life Alert years ago when she lived on her own.  She now lives with my sister and has a pacemaker.  Does anyone know if it's safe to use life alert when you have a pacemaker?

Honored Contributor

Re: Life Alert and Pacemaker

Why don't you call and ask them?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My first thought is this; does your sister have a microwave in her house?   If so, I wouldn’t be concerned about the life alert system.

Honored Contributor

I would ask your mother's treating physician.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

She called my mother's physician and told her to call the manufacturer.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy....................very un-informed physicians office.  I would think a cardiologists office would have that answer.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I agree.  She did call cardiologist/pacemaker office.  My sister spoke with manufacturer and they said it's okay as long as it remains 6 inches away at all times.  Don't know how my Mom will manage that.  Use a safety pin and pin it all the way to the other side?

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My first thought is this; does your sister have a microwave in her house?   If so, I wouldn’t be concerned about the life alert system.

@RedTop  Today's microwaves do not have any affect on the new technology of pacemakers. That problem was decades ago and is a thing of the past. Nothing to worry about.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  My mom had a couple of pacemakers for the last 11-12 years of her life and, yes, she also had LifeAlert for 14 years. She was an open heart patient long before she became a dementia patient or needed her pacemaker. Microwaves didn't bother her pacemaker or LifeAlert, either. Her LifeAlert was the best thing ever!! Highly recommend using them for all elderly patients. They do require a land line phone. Small price to pay for the safety they provide! Also, some are worn around the neck on a chain or on a wristband. Both are waterproof and worn in the shower and bathtub. Best wishes.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I have a loop recorder implant-and Life Alert....the people in the other end really do care, but my problem is, if I go outside a certain perimeter of my home, Life Alert does not pick up  that.

I love Life Alert: they do Care-but if you leave the range of the call box...it is not going to help.

At times when testing, I have also found a disturbingly long time to answer.

When this contract runs out, I  am switching to a "real time" service that goes from my shower to the shopping mall.

Poodlepet2