Trusted Contributor

Just a FYI: People that have CHF, Hypertension, Gout, etc. be careful overdoing it with leftover ham. The sodium can aggravate these conditions. We would see cases of 'ham-over-dose' in the emergency room about 3-4 days after Easter.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this. Better to avoid ham altogether, of course.

Super Contributor
Thank you. I appreciate the information.
Trusted Contributor
On 4/6/2015 ValuSkr said:

Thanks for this. Better to avoid ham altogether, of course.

I am a lacto-vegetarian, at home. However, I have a PIA, tree-hugging, vegan nephew that lectures every one on the horrors of being a carnivore at every family get-together. So, I keep my diet preferences to myself-and when in Rome-I eat as everyone else does. Anyway, I was invited to my son's for Easter dinner and ate a slice of ham. A wonderful family get-together. Once in awhile-it won't kill me.

Honored Contributor

My cousin had Easter dinner. Two of my relatives have had heart conditions and she wouldn't let them eat the ham - or the cake dessert!

I had no idea that ham could be so harmful for just one meal.

Valued Contributor
Never heard of this in my medical lifetime and would never restrict a heart patient a ""normal"" serving of anything on a special holiday...
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/6/2015 terrier3 said:

My cousin had Easter dinner. Two of my relatives have had heart conditions and she wouldn't let them eat the ham - or the cake dessert!

Who made your cousin the Food Police?

She served a main course and dessert and denied them to two guests? Very twisted, indeed.

Honored Contributor
Have had hypertension for many years....DH is prone to gout.....we both watch our salt and heavy foods.....but ham on Easter is a pleasure I am not going to deny him...I don't like ham so no loss for me? Don't invite guests if you are not going to offer foods everyone can enjoy. I always offer an option like turkey and lots of green salads as well as sugar-free pudding with fresh berries next to the pie....actually most go for the berries and pudding!
Honored Contributor
On 4/6/2015 queendiva said:
On 4/6/2015 terrier3 said:

Who made your cousin the Food Police?

She served a main course and dessert and denied them to two guests? Very twisted, indeed.

I'll bet they don't go to her house to eat again! How rude to treat the like children and to exclude them from what others are having.....she should have given them the opportunity to eat or not eat it...like adults.
Honored Contributor
Diagnosed with CHF after 2nd heart attack. Took me over a year to get my EF number high enough to where I was no longer in that classification. Always good for you to post these factual health cautions here as many I am sure are not aware of these types of possible dangers. With the max amount of sodium suggested for CHF patients, I can' imagine why they would be eating ham at all. But then again, I have been in classes with hundreds of heart patients, and many still chose to ignore dietary information given them by Dieticians and Nutritionists in these classes. THANK YOU for posting your ER experiences, I am sure many were not aware of this information about ham in relation to CHF.
hckynut(john)