Respected Contributor

I had a knee arthroscopy Friday for a torn medial and lateral meniscus and chondromalacia. The procedure itself was about 20 minutes but the pain was excruciating and I was trying to figure out why. My thigh hurt more than my knee and then I figured it out....they use a tourniquet to get your knee to swell in order to visualize it better through the tubing. They must have had it wrapped so tight that the pain is unbearable. I was given Norco but, did not like the way it made me feel.

This evening I took some Advil and it's helped with the soft tissue swelling.

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience. I have a really good level of pain tolerance but this was too-too much.

Honored Contributor

I had that operation. There wasn't much to it. I healed pretty quickly from it. At my age (going on 68) I've had so many operations, this one was a piece of cake.

Just follow the Drs orders and you should be OK. I don't mean to minimize your pain, I'm just saying and hoping to make you feel better that you'll be OK.

Respected Contributor
On 6/22/2014 annabellethecat said:

I had that operation. There wasn't much to it. I healed pretty quickly from it. At my age (going on 68) I've had so many operations, this one was a piece of cake.

Just follow the Drs orders and you should be OK. I don't mean to minimize your pain, I'm just saying and hoping to make you feel better that you'll be OK.

Oh, believe me, I appreciate what you've said. As I said, it's not the knee joint, that's a little stiff but not painful like I had prior to the surgery. The surgeon was my former boss and my cousin is his R.N. I talked to her today and that was my conclusion about the tourniquet because of the high pain and a large mark on the outer aspect of my leg. It feels like someone punched me in the upper leg.

Honored Contributor

I hope you feel better. Please let us know how you are doing. I'll be thinking about you. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had 3 knee arthroscopies prior to my very recent knee replacement and also have professional ortho experience. I can tell you this: I never had a tourniquet for any of the arthroscopies. There would never be a need, as the three incisions are quite small. Additionally, our Ortho Residents were never taught to use tourniquets in scope procedures.

If the pain you're experiencing is in close proximity to an incision, dollars to donuts that's the incision where the camera was inserted. The insult to tissue in this particular area is much more pronounced than the other two incisions.

Also, some surgeons use various types of tape to hold your leg in a position appropriate for the surgery. If the tape were applied too tightly, this could very well account for the soreness and pain.

Note: In order to enhance visualization of the interior knee during arthroscopy, Ringer's Solution flows into the joint. This provides a fine medium from which the surgeon can manipulate the scope instruments and retrieve shaved and nipped off tissue.

If it were me, I'd call my surgeon and run this by him. He/she needs to at least rule out infection.

Good luck!

New Contributor
When I had my knee surgery for a torn meniscus after I woke up I had the worst pain in my calf I could barely walk, my knee didn't even hurt. I called my Dr. For a week straight complaining finally they sent me to the ER for a ultra sound . I had a blood clot!!!
Respected Contributor

The knee is feeling so much better. The portals are not infected. The thigh pain is significantly less. I have 20 stairs going from my garage to my condo unit. I went out today and for the first time in 6 weeks, I was able to use both legs pain free!

The tape must have been waaaaaay too tight.

Anyway, it feels good to be on the mend.

Super Contributor

I also had an arthroscopy and the most beneficial thing you can do for yourself is religiously do the exercises they gave you and pack in ice for 15 min intervals. It takes time but also don't baby it.