Frequent Contributor

Tempurpedic mattress question

I asked awhile ago about a memory foam mattress but today I am specifially asking if anyone has a tempurpedic allura (spelling?) mattress. This mattress has a "pillow top" so to speak. I have been experiencing some sleeping troubles, pain at night and in the morning. The small of my back and a little below is the troubled area along with pressure points. I think it may be due to my mattress. It is about ten years old and I imagine it has served its time. I am also think about a Serta Icomfort Visionary Limited if anyone has that I would appreciate a quick review or if anyone has any other suggestions I am open to hearing. TIA

I posted in Health instead of Home because this is a health issue for me.

Super Contributor

Re: Tempurpedic mattress question

I did a search for you just in case no one here has had experience with the Tempurpedic Allura".

HTH:

https://www.google.com/#q=reviews+tempupedic+allura

Super Contributor

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but maybe you could try a memory foam topper first? I bought one at Costco, for about $120.00. Was 2 1/2 inches thick I believe, and it is amazing how it helped me sleep comfortably from the very first night. I also have some lower back problems and joint problems. I put this on my 8 year old mattress and I cannot tell you how amazing it was. Before buying I did alot of research on these and most people said between 2 and 3 inches was the best, with a 4 inch topper alot had issues with getting out of the bed.

Honored Contributor

After years and YEARS of experimentation I became convinced that pricey does not mean best solution. For me, it would be disaster to make a 50/50 guess that cost as much as the ALLURA ( The "ALLURA"?) What the heck does that name do to make me sleep better? I use FIRM base, foam mattress, Costco topper, and CuddlEwe. Do LOTS of research and read lots of articles before putting down your hard earned money for what might be a mistake!
Contributor

I don't have the Allura, but I do have the Cloud. Have had it for 3+ years and I love it. I have the adjustable model. Every night, I cannot wait to get in it after a tough day at work.

Frequent Contributor

I hadn't realized anyone responded to this...thank you all. This really is a dilemma for me. I will take all your words into consideration. The reason I am hung up on the Tempurpedic is it is described to be hat I have been searching for...somewhat firm support but cushy feel. Really, I would pay the money in an instant if I knew it would be the answer. Over the past few years is has been a steady decline in how I wake in the mornings. I have folded a lightweight quilt in thirds and placed it on the middle section under mattress pad and memory foam topper(1.5") and this has helped some. I have also been doing psoas exercises and that does help as well and am grateful to have found these though they do not eliminate pain. Maybe nothing will. I like all your suggestions and will look further into them.

nec, have you had any mattress depression at all? My back can tell even if my eyes can't see the slight compression.

Honored Contributor

I have a memory foam from the Sheep People (can never remember if its Serta or Sealy) and all I can tell you is I can sleep flat on my back on that thing with no pain. Our couch or a regular mattress? Pain.

Respected Contributor

I think we have a cloud. We love it and it's about 3 years old. The best mattress we have had.

Respected Contributor

Have you tried turning the mattress from bottom to top?

Frequent Contributor

esmeralda, yes I have turned it and currently I am in the middle...king size bed...but the middle now is becoming like the left and right sides. I just need a new mattress and I need to do it soon.

I don't like being so 'needy' with this as I am not usually so. I have led a relatively pain free life thus far so I am not dealing well with this major inconvenience. Night after night there is no respite right now. A few in my family have chronic body pain, I do hope that is not my path. My reading has me believing that memory foam in general is best for pressure point pain and pain in general, of course one size does not fit all. I suppose, eventually I'll spend the five thousand and buy the tempurpedic, only after exhausting your much appreciated ideas. If I don't do something, my situation will remain static and that would be silly of me.

Thanks again.