Frequent Contributor

I have had kidney stone  problems for over 4 years but...... I don't have ny pain! At all I had a 9 mm stone surgically removed I had not a bit of pain! Lots of blood in urine I have a bladder disease so it was hard to tell what's going on sometimes.

i have had a lithotripsey also on one side it's miserable I worry for more because I have no pain I won't know and damage my kidneys.

maryJo Ut.

Honored Contributor

My husband thinks he is trying to pass a stone. He has had some pain and  blood in his urine. He has a Dr. appointment on Tues morning. I hope he is ok and doesn't need an ER  visit. He only felt pain after urination

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My husband thinks he is trying to pass a stone. He has had some pain and  blood in his urine. He has a Dr. appointment on Tues morning. I hope he is ok and doesn't need an ER  visit. He only felt pain after urination

Hi @cherry,

I hope that he will be alright, and hopefully he can pass the stone by then.

I would have pain until I passed them, and then the pain would stop.

I wish him all of the best, and I hope that he feels better soon. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3  He seems to be ok . It just bothers him when he gets up to use the bathroom, in the morning. I wish he colud have gotten in the the Dr sooner , but with the holidays, we are lucky  it is as soon as Tues

Valued Contributor

Gooday, I know your post is from awhile ago but I just happened to come across it.  About 10 years ago, I was seeing my urologist for something else and he did an ultrasound and found a large kidney stone that wasn't going to pass on its own. Don't ask me why, but not only do I have a fear of general anesthesia but also "twilight" sedation like the kind they use for colonoscopies. I have had 2 colonoscopies without any sedation, a fallopian tube opened (like a roto rooter procedure) without any either, and a D&C with nothing too. They would not let me have the lithotripsy without sedation but my anethesiologist worked with me. First, it wasn't general anesthesia and second, she stayed by my side and administered enough for me to be wide awake but totally comfortable. She was wonderful. If you're still dealing with this problem, talk with your dr about this option. I got off the table after I peed and went shopping with my sister.

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

Gooday, I know your post is from awhile ago but I just happened to come across it.  About 10 years ago, I was seeing my urologist for something else and he did an ultrasound and found a large kidney stone that wasn't going to pass on its own. Don't ask me why, but not only do I have a fear of general anesthesia but also "twilight" sedation like the kind they use for colonoscopies. I have had 2 colonoscopies without any sedation, a fallopian tube opened (like a roto rooter procedure) without any either, and a D&C with nothing too. They would not let me have the lithotripsy without sedation but my anethesiologist worked with me. First, it wasn't general anesthesia and second, she stayed by my side and administered enough for me to be wide awake but totally comfortable. She was wonderful. If you're still dealing with this problem, talk with your dr about this option. I got off the table after I peed and went shopping with my sister.

Thanks for your response ~Here's an update from my last post: in early January after eating dinner, I became so nauseated and started having right flank pain.  The right kidney is the one that had two 5-7mm. stones in it.  I vomitted and dry heaved until 2 a.m.  The next day I felt awful.  Like you, in the past when I passed stones, I felt right as rain.

A week to the day, DH and I went out to eat.  We got home and AGAIN....nausea and vomitting and dry heaves all night with horrendous pain.  I took Toradol and a few hours later an Ambien.  Prior to that I went from the bed, to the recliner...back and forth until I finally went to sleep.

I forgot to say at the start of my post that I had light pink blood for a year! My PCP, my cardiologist (I am on Eliquis for a-fib) and the urologist said that other than the stones, they could find nothing wrong.

Since these two episodes in January, my urine has been clear!

I know you know, but I just cannot tell anyone how horrific this pain and I had back surgery in 1992 and a right hemi-colectomy in 2006 which were both painful but in a different way.

Best of luck to you in the future and may we never experience the pain of another kidney stone.