Esteemed Contributor

Anyone had kidney stone surgery for a stone too big to shatter or pass?  Wondering about the recovery.  Any advice or information would be appreciated.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kidney stone surgery

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

I have no advice. I just want to acknowledge that you are probably having a lot of pain and I hope you find relief soon.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Super Contributor

I have had kidney stones all of my adult life. Some I have been able to pass and some not. The worst one that required me to retire from my job was a stone so large that it lodged in the mouth on the kidney and could not move into the tube. This was the most painful next to childbirth that I have ever endured. The Dr. had to put stents from my bladder to the kidney to allow urination. This continued for three weeks. Then the Dr. performed laser surgery to break up the stone and put in more stents. The ordeal lasted six weeks. I was on drugs most of the time for the pain and remember little of all that occurred. However, I could not continue work after it was over because of the daily requirements to drink water to fill the urinary track. It was a no-win.

I did not have any invasive cutting on the kidney, thank goodness. I've never heard of a stone that could not be lasered, but I don't know all of your circumstances. I wish you well and hope all goes smoothy. I wouldn't wish this procedure on my worst enemy.

tea

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu 

DH has manufactured some stones over the years. Two years ago, though, one didn't pass after a reasonable time and the med they give you to help it along.

He had the outpatient procedure at the hospital, not very long. His surgeon put a stent in for any tiny fragments that might need to pass with a string that sort of dangled out of him (sorry if TMI). I brought him home the same day. He was groggy from the anesthesia and slept the first day. Needed some of the anti-nausea and pain meds that they gave him for a day or so, then he started to feel pretty well.

There is some initial peeing of faint blood, but that's normal. 

they told me when to pull the string out with the stent (I forget how long afterward...a week? It's been a few years). 

He recovered well and had an X-ray follow-up at six months and one year with no recurrence.

I should also say this was his first surgery and he had no complaints.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - I'm sorry you're going through this.

Like @Sammycat1, my DH was plagued by them for a long time. He had his first attack when he was 29. It was the middle of the night. I was so scared. He was grey and he couldn't bend down to tie his sneakers. I didn't know what was happening. We went to the ER. They transferred him to a larger hospital and kept him for a few days. He never passed the stone, so the strainer came home with him. When he did pass it, it was so tiny I couldn't believe it caused that much pain. This went on for a number of years, but he knew what to do when the pain came. 

About 15 years ago his urologist recommended something new. They immersed him in water and used ultrasound to smash the stones. They anesthetized him, and it was an all-day procedure. It's called lithotripsy. 

It wouldn't hurt to ask about it. He still had to pass them and use his strainer, but the pain was gone. 

I hope you feel better.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu My mother just went through this. She had a stone removed and then had a stent in for about a week or so. The surgery was nothing, but the stent aggravated her like nothing else. She sat with a heating pad for most of that time. It came out about a week or so later and she's been fine ever since.

I hope you have a swift and easy recovery. 🙏

Trusted Contributor

Not a personal experience, but a colleague I worked with had the surgery as an outpatient and was back at work the next day.  I don't think a stent was involved. She never had a recurrence.

My husband has been plagued with them for decades but so far the larger ones have been successfully broken up with lithotripsy.

Best of luck with the procedure.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kidney stone surgery

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Anyone had kidney stone surgery for a stone too big to shatter or pass?  Wondering about the recovery.  Any advice or information would be appreciated.  

Yes, I have.

I've had two Ureteroscopies so far over the years.

If you're not familiar with them, they are outpatient surgical procedures done under General Anesthesia. You go home the same day.

The doctor goes into the kidney/s through the ureter/s.

He'll break up the stone/s and he'll try to remove what he can of the stones or he'll break them up into smaller pieces so that they can pass on their own.

A stent is put into place afterwards so that the ureter stays open and can heal. It's usually left in for a week.

You then return to the doctor's office after a week to have the stent removed. It's done by outpatient in a regular exam room.

You're numbed with a topical anesthetic to have the stent removed and you may be a bit irritated for that day and may bleed a little too when you use the bathroom for the rest of that day, but that's normal and the bleeding will stop.

The reason that the stent can hurt when it's in is that it's flexible and it can move against the kidney and the ureter as we move, and can also hit a nerve/s.

I'm sorry for the TMI, however, this is normal and it's not meant to scare anyone.

The stent is meant to help your body heal afterwards.

Edited to add that I haven't had to have any Ureteroscopy for several years.

I only produce stones in my left kidney, for some reason.

I see a Urologist once a year for follow-up visits and for stone check-ups.

I try to drink as much water as possible, and I also try to drink drinks that contain citric acid like lemonade or fruit punch, as they are also good for helping to keep stones at bay.

Esteemed Contributor

My stone can only be surgically removed.  It is called Steghorn and has branches.  I will have surgery in June.  I have had one friend do this and he is just fine.  I am in no pain.  It was discovered because of a lifetiime of UTI's.  I only wish I could have a different proceedure, but it is what it is.

Prayers please.  

Trusted Contributor

I have had this done.  I had a large stone that wouldn't pass. In my case they put the stent in first and then I waited 3 weeks to go back in and have the stone broken up.  The surgery to break up the stone is not a big deal and I felt much better two days after the surgery. The worse part for me was the stent. While it was in I was not comfortable laying down, standing or walking.  I couldn't work.  After the stent was out things were much better.