Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried "Chaffles"?  They're a bread hack - basically eggs & cheese, cooked in a waffle maker.  You can vary the seasonings and additions to customize for your purpose.  Eat them as a waffle, use them as a base for something, use them as a top and bottom for a sandwich or burger.  I tried making some in my 40+ yr. old waffle maker and they oozed all over the place.  Back then, waffle makers only had a standard design.  The chaffles are best made in a Belgian waffle maker with the bigger indentations.  They have single mini makers on Amazon for about $10-12.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Has anyone tried "Chaffles"?  They're a bread hack - basically eggs & cheese, cooked in a waffle maker.  You can vary the seasonings and additions to customize for your purpose.  Eat them as a waffle, use them as a base for something, use them as a top and bottom for a sandwich or burger.  I tried making some in my 40+ yr. old waffle maker and they oozed all over the place.  Back then, waffle makers only had a standard design.  The chaffles are best made in a Belgian waffle maker with the bigger indentations.  They have single mini makers on Amazon for about $10-12.

Funny, I was just reading a thread about them earlier today on ketogenicforums.com.  I have a Belgian waffle maker, will let you know if I try them.

Super Contributor

Hi JLF,  Count me in. I have found lots of info, recipes, and more from a site called Diet Dr dot com.  It's based in Sweden I believe. Anyway, lots of info there.

I also got a book by Jason Fung from Amazon, not done reading it yet.  Have you shared that you are doing keto with your doctor?  I will need to, as I have type 2 diabetes. I have tried a few recipes and like the food. (And it's not all bacon, all the time.)

I look forward to hearing from others.

Honored Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Hi JLF,  Count me in. I have found lots of info, recipes, and more from a site called Diet Dr dot com.  It's based in Sweden I believe. Anyway, lots of info there.

I also got a book by Jason Fung from Amazon, not done reading it yet.  Have you shared that you are doing keto with your doctor?  I will need to, as I have type 2 diabetes. I have tried a few recipes and like the food. (And it's not all bacon, all the time.)

I look forward to hearing from others.

Glad you're participating, @pdxlalesley.  I have not said anything to my doctor or NP yet.  First and foremost, I need to get rid of the excess pounds, which I'm sure they would support.  At my last physical, roughly a year ago, I was borderline for diabetes so that's another push to do something.

The other day I bought a bag of frozen cauliflower rice at Costco, figuring I'd eventually need it for something.  I ended up finding a recipe hack for mac and cheese, using the riced cauliflower on the food network website.  I made it last night and it was really good.  The only problem is that they don't list all the macros under the nutritional info.

Honored Contributor

My husband has never like Brussels sprouts but was willing to try them.  Our son lost a ton of weight doing keto and recommended this to us.  It was one of the first keto recipes I tried and we loved it.  The cornstarch is not really too keto friendly so substituting arrowroot powder or xanthan gum would save some carbs or just leave the thickening agent out altogether.  Conversion charts are easy to look up online.

Creamy Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

(Creamy Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts & Bacon will become your NEW favourite way to eat Brussels Spouts! Sautéed Brussels sprouts baked in a cheesy creamy garlic sauce with bacon, topped with bubbling mozzarella and parmesan cheese!)

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
30 mins
Total Time
40 mins

Servings: 8 people (as a side) Calories: 312kcal 

Ingredients
10 ounces (300 g) bacon, cut into strips
2 tablespoons butter
2 pounds (1 kg) Brussel sprouts, washed, (trim bottoms and cut sprouts in half)
Salt and pepper to season
5 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 1/2 cups (400 ml) light or heavy cream, (thickened cream)
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water (cornstarch slurry -- optional)
1/3 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F 
Fry the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the oil. Set aside.
Drain most of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving about 1-2 tablespoons for added flavour (adjust this amount to your liking). In the same pan, melt the butter, then add the Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook while stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes. The edges should start crisping and slightly charring.

Add in the garlic and stir it through the sprouts for a minute, until fragrant. Pour in the cream, reduce heat down to low and allow them to simmer until tender (another 3-4 minutes).

If the cream is too thin for your liking, add in the cornstarch slurry, stirring it through immediately, until combined.

Add the bacon in and give everything a good mix to combine all of the flavours together. Top the sprouts with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Bake until cheese is bubbly and sprouts are done to your liking (about 15 minutes). If you like your cheese browned, change oven settings to broil for 2-3 minutes, until golden.

Season with a little extra pepper, if desired, before serving. You can also sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, thyme or rosemary.

Nutrition
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 380mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1460IU | Vitamin C: 97.3mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 1.8mg

Honored Contributor

There is a fairly easy food tracker that gives you not only net amounts but percentages.

It's called My Plate and can be found on livestrong DOT com.

BTW, beware of "net carbs," since they are pretty much a marketing scheme and can throw off your counts and desired results, depending on your needs and goals.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for  starting  this thread as I  would  like to  start  this WOE.  Have some   idea  about  low carbs  from  South Beach and Atkins.   Please suggest the best book to   get  me started...so many to choose  from.for  keto......Im so close to being  Diabetic need to watch   my carbs....Thanks

Frequent Contributor
@pattiewaddle, My husband and I eat keto and love it. His sister was here yesterday with a book by Ivor Cummins and Dr. Jeff Gerber called “Eat Rich, Live Long” and it was really good. I had a couple of hours with it and it seems to have a great explanation of ketosis, why this way of eating works, bloodwork and heart info and also good recipes to get you started. We plan to buy it and have it on hand for easy reference. Also, as said before, the Diet Doctor website is an excellent place to go for information. Their resident cardiologist, Dr. Brett Scher, does great articles on current topics and studies and also is the host of the Diet Doctor podcast. Ivor Cummins has a really good podcast too, called The Fat Emperor. I’ve eaten keto for several years and the feeling of optimism i get along with easy weight management and overall health is amazing. My downfall is dairy and also keto “treats”. They can be great but I’m way too susceptible to overdoing! When I stick to whole foods and plainer meals, I do much better. I also implement some intermittent fasting, eating from about 4:00 am to noon and that’s it. I wake up full of energy and ready to go! I don’t recommend the fasting until you’re fully fat adapted though. It should come naturally and not be forced. I’m really looking forward to this thread!
Frequent Contributor
@JeanLouiseFinch, that Brussels sprouts recipe sounds amazing! I’m copying it to give it a try.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

There is a fairly easy food tracker that gives you not only net amounts but percentages.

It's called My Plate and can be found on livestrong DOT com.

BTW, beware of "net carbs," since they are pretty much a marketing scheme and can throw off your counts and desired results, depending on your needs and goals.

Thanks for the input, @GingerPeach.  I've not heard of My Plate, I've only heard of My Fitness Pal and Carb Manager. 

How is the "net carb" tracking/counting a marketing thing?  Everyone I know or have read from manages their net carbs.  I mean, it seems to be the way the ketogenic diet is done.