Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

@hckynut - Good to hear from you John!  I have been doing my stretching just this week and already am noticing a difference.  My knees are not hurting me at night and my hands are less stiff.  I think stretching has been terribly underplayed in the exercise routine. 

@hoosieroriginal

Thank you for your kind welcome I sincerely appreciate it. I am glad you feel some benefits from your stretching in such a short time. From your comment I am assuming you just began this program a week ago.

I don't remember which program you mentioned so I will add this. NEVER/EVER try to stretch when your muscles and blood have not warmed up. Many feel that stretching as soon as they get out of bed is a good thing, and it is not.

You blood temperature decreases while you sleep and cold blood in cold muscles can easily create unnecessary risks of injuring them. Wait till you have moved around before you make any attempt to stretch any muscle group. There is a reason that nowadays, as opposed to decades ago, you see athletes in all sports warm up before competing.

Stick with what feels like a comfortable stretch and you will gradually see how much further you are able to stretch those same muscles than at the beginning of your program. It should never be painful to stretch any muscle that has not been injured. You will know where safe stretching ends and possible injuries begin.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

Thanks for mentioning this program.  I watched it today and got quite the workout.  Wow, and I thought I was in good shape.  I need to add stretching to my daily routine.  She has some great movements.  I might order some of her CD’s.  I can see where it would make a big difference in mobility as we age.  

Respected Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

Thanks for mentioning this program.  I watched it today and got quite the workout.  Wow, and I thought I was in good shape.  I need to add stretching to my daily routine.  She has some great movements.  I might order some of her CD’s.  I can see where it would make a big difference in mobility as we age.  

@cotton4me- You're welcome - I'm seeing quite a difference myself in my stiffness and mobility.  I would like to get her tapes too - they are on amazon and I believe she has a website. Just the hand stretches have made a huge difference!  I was having a hard time opening jars.