Trusted Contributor

Re: Just had a strange phone call......

@Etoile308 wrote:

I personally would never have answered any questions. Unless they're calling about a recall on something I've gotten there, I wouldn't entertain a conversation.

correct, I am too paranoid to give anyone ANY information.  Quite frankly unless I am expecting any call (unless it is a friend or relative) I always let them go to voicemail.  If it is important they will leave a message.  

Do NOT give out information not even answering a yes or no.  NOPE  to easy to get scammed.

Imagine if all this energy was going for something good.  What a wonderful world this would be.

Honored Contributor

It's a marketing tool....more business for them. They can't change your medications without your doctor ordering it and you picking it up. Just ignore it. 

Honored Contributor

@Q4u   And along these same lines, what happens to the 'older' folks Walgreen Pharm may have the same phone conversation with. An older person who may not quite understand what the Pharm is even talking about but talks this person right into changing up/signing them onto other drugs, different drugs - soulds like scammer phone calls to older folks who buy into the idea of "send me money".

I think this approach by Walgreen's is extremely wrong, extremely harmful, downright disgusting and more than likely illegal. They cannot put (their) customers on a prescription that their Doctor does not know about more importantly DID NOT PRESCRIBE. 

Potentially deadly game Walgree's (big) Pharm is doing. Wonder how many other customers they'd phoned on such matters. If I were you I would NOT let this go. I'd be making a few phone calls on this bs myself as to how and why this is happening. And yes, a phone call to your personal Dr is in immediate order too.

Honored Contributor

I do not answer any questions like that unless I am absolutely sure about the caller. It could be a scam.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I'm on the fence with this one. Sometimes pharmacists catch things doctors don't.

But you have to wonder was it the actual pharmacist at the pharmacy the OP uses or was it someone that was given access to customer records by Walgreens.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u ---did you call the pharmacy to confirm it was really from them? sounds likes a scam to me----weird that out of the blue you would get this kind of call.

Honored Contributor

Medical reimbursement is now tied to many factors, and doctors are rated as to how well they meet medical protocol in the treatment of their patients.  

Current medical protocol dictates that a diabetic should be on a statin medication to protect their heart.   All diabetics should have heard this recommendation from their provider.   The patient can refuse the statin, and that will be noted in the medical record, which covers the provider as far as meeting protocol.  

To be contacted by your pharmacy, simply means they have noticed you are not taking a statin medication, and are making an effort to get this issue addressed.   I know what it means for the doctor, and can only guess what it means as far as Pharmacy compliance.   

My brother and I are two diabetics who have refused statin medication.   Our cholesterol and triglyceride levels are low; taking a statin would do more harm than good for us.  However, our provider met his compliance responsibility to mention this to us, and record our refusal in our records.  

Doctors can receive bonus payments based on their compliance reviews.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, that's strange.  If you're diabetic you should take a statin, but if you're not diabetic and take a statin, your'e more likely to become diabetic.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statin-side-effects/a...

That's exactly right, and I didn't have diabetes nor anyone in my family that had/has it and after 18 months of taking Simvastatin, a statin may have been a contributing factor.  There's no way for me to know.  I've a serious reaction to my first statin drug, lost some muscle strength in my legs which has never come back, tried two more and recognized the reactions that shouldn't have occurred, discussed it with my doctor and stopped taking statins.  Thanks for your link.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I want to thank everyone who responded and I appreciate all responses.  I'm not letting this go and will be lodging a complaint with WalGreens.  I'll also be talking to my doctor about it.  I'm still angry (you know that feeling in your stomach).   But I want to be clear of anger when I write to WalGreens.

Thank you .....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Just had Walgreen's call me.  It's my pharmacy and where I pick up my meds.  A lady asked me if it was me.... yes.... was I diabetic?  Yes (they would only have to look at my account and see my diabetes meds).  Asked about taking a Statin, because as I probably know, Diabetics have more of a problem with cardiac issues, and did I take a statin?  No.... and why am I discussing this with you and not my doctor??  

She said because Walgreens has a new program regarding asking me about a Statin and then calling my doctor and arranging one for me from the doctor.  What?  Also, new meds for my Diabetes could be arranged ... again, what???

Really?  I am furious.  I discuss my health and my medications with my DOCTOR.  I have a severe reaction to Statins and have tried (like a good trooper) two or three of them.  I was on the first one for 18 months and lost some muscle strength in both legs as well as painful electrical type feelings before I understood what was causing it! Each time I tried a new one, the electrical spasms start, last time in only three days.  My doctor knows this.  Does Walgreen's need to know this?  If they do, why do they need to get involved in the recommendation of new prescriptions (they aren't doctors) and is it even legal??

The Walgreen's lady she said she would make a "notation" in my file to reflect this fact.... ! 

I know this is my Pharmacy and they are privy to my medical prescriptions but I'm very angry about this convoluted intrusion and am considering going to another pharmacy.

Meanwhile, if you are called, I'd recommend questioning them. 

@Q4u @All you have to say is that you would feel more comfortable discussing this with your doctor and say good bye. You don't have to go into any details. You don't need to get upset over this. The lady calling was just hired to call Walgreens customers about their program. If you're not interested, just say so. She does not have access to your medical records. She has your number and was given questions to ask. She could use some better training. I'm pretty sure she should use a scripted call which explains Walgreens program. Your doctor probably knows nothing about this call. 

I get calls from CVS in which a person asks me if I want to have my prescriptions be on a 90 day supply or not. The person does not know anything about which medications I take and is not calling from my own CVS. I just say no thank you and hang up.