Trusted Contributor

I was looking at buying a set of high end white bath towels on line, they certainly were not cheap. But I noticed it carried the proposiyion 65 warning that stated California has determined that using this item may lead to cancer. This supposedly is due to chemicals either used in growing the cotton, manufacturing or dying the product.  I decided not to buy. My question is what do you think of items that carry this warning and do you purchase them anyway. I was thinking probably in the world of linens and textiles, most use the same chemicals in manufacturing wouldn't you think. 

Respected Contributor

I buy things that have a prop 65 warning. It's a California regulation and when you look at the regulatory limits, they are extremely low and most consumer products don't have a chance at avoiding the warning.

Trusted Contributor

@DrKelli  Thanks for your input, that is what I was thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

I still buy things with that warning. It's a California regulation; if it was that serious, the warning would most likely be in other states also. It's nothing much to worry about IMO. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw  Thanks. Yes that was what I was wondering. If the items are that dangerous why is the warning just for Ca. I went ahead and ordered the towels since seeing the post from you guys. I do appreciate your input. I am an east coast girl and although have been aware of the prop 65 never knew that much about it.  Thanks again. 

Respected Contributor

This is a constantly observed sign in California. They went way over board on this.I never pay any attention to this , and any people I know do not pay attention either.

Valued Contributor

Rome burns but your towel will not cause cancer...progress?

Respected Contributor

Also--my background is regulatory compliance--I worked for a consumer products company and know these regulations very well--they even have prop 65 warnings on personal care products.  Usually you don't ingest consumer products or hair products, so you really don't have much exposure to whatever ingredient California has taken exception to.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't think I have see this warning on towels (or sheets).  Wonder what caused it.

Honored Contributor

I did lots of renovating and redecorating a few years ago, got a ton of things from places like Wayfair, just about everything came with the Prop 65 warning, after a few items i just began to ignore it.