Respected Contributor

Re: Is the flu vaccine going to be the next shortage?

I got my senior flu shot yesterday at Walgreens. The pharmacist told me that he has a good supply but has given lots of the senior flu shots recently. This is the optimal time to get your shot if you haven't already.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my "senior flu shot" about a week ago at my regular primary doc's office.  Opted not to get the shot at a pharmacy this time, which caused problems last year with weird, long-lasting arm swelling that steadily moved downward to wrists.

I asked my doc at the time whether I should try again to begin the shingles vaccination protocol, which was hard for me to find last year so I had given up trying. He said it might be a good thing to delay that for a while in my case.

Just another thing to discuss with your own doctor.

Respected Contributor

The senior flu vaccine is not "the flu vaccine." It's specifically the senior version.

I have read (and have no reason not to believe) that the flu vaccine, the regular flu vaccine that most people take, is plentiful. 

I take the regular version with no problem and look forward to getting my shot around the middle of the month. No shortages.

If you can't get the senior version, get the regular.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Sadly, the flu shot is no guarantee that you will not still get the flu.  It does not protect against all strains of the flu., just the ones they think will be most prevalent.

True and if you knew how they come up with strains to include, you would laugh because it's not really all about public health and safety but a matter of money, power and recognition.

Honored Contributor

No.  Last year at this time they were already out of the senior dose at CVS and didn't know if or when they would get anymore.

Respected Contributor

I should also add, I am in no way trying to discourage anyone from taking the flu shot.  Just want to make sure everyone that does still knows to be careful and practice proper hand washing, etc.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Got my senior shot last Friday.  I was waiting a bit so that I'll be covered in the later months of the flu.  My local CVS said they are giving out an average of 20 flu shots a day these days.  I usually wait until mid-October, but with all the publicity right now, I decided it was best to not wait any longer.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss seems like I’ve heard the same song about flu vaccine shortages more years than not.

i used to try to see my primary early in season and get the shot in that visit.  I’ve had far better luck at my local pharmacy,

your post reminded me to make an appointment where I get my meds.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I got mine at Rite Aid last week, I didn't know there was a shortage.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe   and all other anti vaxers

If life was only that simple, but its not there are people that have illnesses or who are aged, surely need the shot to live

@BalletBabe wrote:

Flu Vaccines are a racket.  Eat right and keep your immune system up.  No need to be injected with poisons.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.