Respected Contributor

Is Hip Replacement Inevitable

I am hoping it is not inevitable but as we age (my family and friends) it seems that it is. Do you find that eventually someone you know had to have hip replacement or maybe yourself?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Hip Replacement Inevitable

Neither grandparent nor my parents or inlaws.  None of my siblings.  Lots of people I know who have had this have taken nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and/or steroids, or hormone (such as BCP).  Wonder if there is a correlation.  My ancestors did not take any of those drugs.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hope not!

Honored Contributor

"Inevitable" to me would mean everyone eventually has the procedure, so I would say it's not inevitable.  I'm 75, have myriad friends my age and older and only a few of us have had hip replacements.  A slightly greater percentage have had knee replacemnts. The closest to inevitable seems to be cataract surgery, but even that is something that hasn't hit everyone I know.

Honored Contributor

Inevitable : death and taxes.

Honored Contributor

My mom lived to be 94.  Never had knees or hips replaced and never had cataract surgery.  My dad died at 86, had cataract surgery, but no hip or knee replacements.  I'm hopeful I'll follow in their footsteps.  So far, so good.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

"Inevitable" to me would mean everyone eventually has the procedure, so I would say it's not inevitable.  I'm 75, have myriad friends my age and older and only a few of us have had hip replacements.  A slightly greater percentage have had knee replacemnts. The closest to inevitable seems to be cataract surgery, but even that is something that hasn't hit everyone I know.

@millieshops

oh my,I am a candidate for all of the above..............   .Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Yes, I firmly believe it is inevitable for me.   My expectations are to get this second knee replaced, and have my body start letting me know it's time to start replacing hips.   

I suffered and limped for 13 years before my first knee replacement, and am sure I stressed my back and my hips.   My goal was to do my second knee in April, but that did not work out according to my plan, and I cannot see it happening before the end of this year.   I will be relieved once my knee is done, but do not think it will be the last joint I have replaced.   

Honored Contributor

@truffle  My lifestyle:  vegan, meditate, sleep (8+), exercise, practice my spiritual principles, don't smoke, don't drink, no medications.....I live this way mostly for ethical reasons but it does impact my health.   Hopefully, the health concerns you mention will not be a challenge for me,  if they are I'll take it in stride.  But, I don't think it is inevitable.

Honored Contributor

For me, yes at age 42--both hips.  Made my life so much better.  Able to do so much more and pain free.