Honored Contributor

Re: Is Hip Replacement Inevitable

I don't think a hip replacement is inevitable by any stretch of the imagination.  I don't even know of anyone who ever had one or needed one.  Except for my brother who had one twice but he was born with a deformed hip and had his first hip replacement when he was 40.  I know many people who have had knees replaced but no hips.  I work in healthcare and while I see many knee replacements and that does seem to be growing.  I don't see many hip replacements.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I am hoping it is not inevitable but as we age (my family and friends) it seems that it is. Do you find that eventually someone you know had to have hip replacement or maybe yourself?  

@truffle  I had a hip replaced twenty years ago when I was young, for this type of surgery, due to a childhood accident.  I really had no pain for the most part.  My doctor didn't believe in physical therapy, so gave me exercises to do in bed, hooray, that was fine with me.

The hardest part was not sleeping on that side for months, and not being able to bend over past a certain point for months, but after that, all was/is good.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

My doctor recommends daily walks, turmeric and Vitamin D supplementation for overall well being, I am following his plan. I don't like vigorous exercise and he says it's not necessary and often is shocking and hard on the body especially after age 60.

@Reever

My doctor and physical therapist advised exercise and walking.  I have exercises and stretching in the morning and then exercise again before bed ... besides walking every day.  I live in the City - and walk everywhere.  

I was diagnosed several years ago - and so far so good.  My doctor isn't a fan of supplements (and neither am I) ... Tylenol for pain and an NSAID for flare-ups.   I haven't taken either since the weather has cooperated and I'm able to get out everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

Not inevitable, but necessary for some.  I wish I could describe the joy of bone-on-bone in the hip joint.

I rejoice the wonders of modern medicine.

Having a leg yanked out of it's socket and replaced is not a walk in the park.  Lucky to be able to have it done, aside.

Cogito ergo sum