Honored Contributor

Interesting observation re genetics

[ Edited ]

Which population might be least likely to be devastated by a new disease outbreak?

1. A) a small population made up of the offspring of healthy, related parents
  2. B) a large, genetically diverse population
  3. C) a small, genetically uniform population
  4. D) a large, genetically uniform population

Best Answer:  The answer is B a large genetically diverse population. This is because the more people the less chance of everyone contracting a new disease. Also, by being genetically diverse there are chances that some could be resistant to the disease or immune due to natural selection.

A large, genetically diverse population would be the least vulnerable. A genetically uniform population would share a lot of vulnerabilities, so a disease outbreak would decimate them, and related parents would produce offspring with similar genetic profiles.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting observation re genetics

That's why purebred animals tend to get sick more often than mutts. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I think I learned this from the 'mad scientists' in sci-fi/fantasy when I was 10.
Same principle applies to vulnerabilities in raising flocks, heards, and crops.
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a great endorsement of our country’s honored tradition of being a big, embracing “melting pot” for the world. 😀

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's why purebred animals tend to get sick more often than mutts. Woman Happy

@SilleeMee  you are so right.  Many more cancers etc with pure lines in animals and people... look at Royalty from History and all the inbreeding... leading to bloood diseases etc.