Respected Contributor

Interesting Immune Support Studies

I was just looking into the health benefits of garlic, and I stumbled upon these three research articles that have implications for COVID-19 infection modulation.

About two years ago, I remembered that decades ago, when I religiously took a GNC multivitamin and two Kyolic garlic capsules every morning, before driving in to work, I found that I did not become sick like my co-workers who were coughing and sneezing all around me whenever they became ill with any kind of respiratory virus.  Of course, when I became lazy after a couple of years as I wanted to get the special discounts on the vitamins and supplements and I started missing out on their discount days, and then stopped purchasing these vitamins, I started getting sick again, just like everyone else, but I failed to make the connection.  Long story short, after years of suffering from sinus infections and multiple colds and even an influenza-like illness (back in March 2009-- possibly Swine Flu), I am taking these two things, once again (a multivitamin and two garlic capsules)--- every day.  So far, so good; I haven't suffered any kind of cold or sinus infection since. I am also reducing my sugar intake dramatically and trying to eat much healthier by avoiding processed and fried foods.  By sharing these articles here, I am not implying or inferring in any way that I am somehow impervious to SARS-CoV-2 infection.  I merely hope at best to mitigate an infection should I contract the virus.  I understand how contagious it is.

"Micronutrients and bioactive substances: Their potential roles in combating COVID-19":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7717879/

"Vitamins (A, B, C, D, and E), minerals (selenium and zinc), and bioactive substances from curcumin, echinacea, propolis, garlic, soybean, green tea, and other polyphenols were identified as having potential roles in interfering with spike glycoproteins, angiotensin converting enzyme 2, and transmembrane protease serine 2 at the entry site, and inhibiting activities of papain-like protease, 3 chymotrypsin-like protease, and RNA-dependent RNA polymerase in the replication cycle of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. Having immunomodulating, antiinflammatory, antioxidant, and antiviral properties, such micronutrients and bioactive substances are consequently promising alterative nutritional approaches to combat COVID-19."

"Screening of Potent Inhibitors Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) from Alliumsativum and Allium cepa: An In Silico Approach":

https://biointerfaceresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/20695837111.79817993.pdf

"Our findings propose that natural compounds from garlic and onion can be used as potent inhibitors against the main protease of COVID-19, which could be helpful in combating the COVID-19 pandemic."

"Investigation into SARS-CoV-2 Resistance of Compounds in Garlic Essential Oil":

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.0c00772

"For the first time, using the molecular docking technique, we report the inhibitory effect of the considered compounds on the host receptor angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) protein in the human body that leads to a crucial foundation about coronavirus resistance of individual compounds on the main protease (PDB6LU7) protein of SARS-CoV-2. The results show that the 17 organosulfur compounds, accounting for 99.4% contents of the garlic essential oil, have strong interactions with the amino acids of the ACE2 protein and the main protease PDB6LU7 of SARS-CoV-2. The strongest anticoronavirus activity is expressed in allyl disulfide and allyl trisulfide, which account for the highest content in the garlic essential oil (51.3%). Interestingly, docking results indicate the synergistic interactions of the 17 substances, which exhibit good inhibition of the ACE2 and PDB6LU7 proteins. The results suggest that the garlic essential oil is a valuable natural antivirus source, which contributes to preventing the invasion of coronavirus into the human body."

Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting Immune Support Studies

I also take a garlic capsule everydaySmiley Happy It is also good for lowering cholesterol (the bad kind).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay -  The reason you mentioned - cholesterol reduction - was the exact reason I began taking the garlic supplement.  Thank you for reminding me of that fact.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born -

That was my original reason too!

And now for that and also great for less colds, and many other good thingsSmiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this up!

Ginger is a good one too though may cause digestive upsets for some.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay I love ginger and turmeric, too.  They work well to reduce inflammation.  I have never taken a ginger supplement, but I do cook with ginger root on occasion as I love the taste of it.  I cook with turmeric, too, and I sometimes take turmeric supplements.  Right now, my dog is taking turmeric supplements, to be honest. 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born   I've also taken quality vitamins & supplements for many years but like you have gotten lax from time to time.  However since Covid I have been diligent in taking them!...and have never felt better!

I take Vitamins D3, K2, C, B complex, magnesium, zinc and quercetin as a zinc ionophore for better absorption.  I cook with garlic & ginger often but never took garlic capsules.  Do you find that they repeat on you or leave an after taste?

Honored Contributor

I don't take a garlic supplement but I have about two cloves a day with meals and I can't remember the last time I had a cold (touch wood). 

Super Contributor

How do you prepare it to eat it daily? Roasted? Thanks 

Honored Contributor

This is in addition to vaccinations and taking recommended precautions. Not instead of.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9,

I don't think the garlic capsules have an aftertaste or other things.I have the Spring Valley brand now (sold at Walmart).

I hate hate the smell or taste of garlic so that's why I just use a capsule,as opposed to eating it😜. I know many people like it.