Honored Contributor

I am one of those people who have never had a flu shot...ever.  I have never had the flu either and it must be at least 20 years or more since I have had a cold.  I do not get respiratory illnesses.

I would not get an immunization against the coronavirus either.  I don't go to doctors unless it is absolutely necessary and take no medications...even OTC drugs scare me.  

I try to keep my body free from chemicals...so far, so good.  Everyone does what they feel is best for them.

I am the only one of five siblings who does not have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and Rumatoid arthritis.

I do have osteoporosis in my knees due to life long injuries.  Other than that, I am in pretty good shape.  I avoid gluten..haven't touched it for about 35 years now.

I don't worry about getting sick.  I figure I have to die from something.

Frequent Contributor

The drop in the Dow could be a reaction indirectly caused by the coronavirus. Stocks related to travel are mainly taking the hit based on concern, or probability, that people will stop, or at the least, limit travel for fear of the virus risk.

Honored Contributor

All my family and extended family-newborns to 97 years old have been sick with the flu, one twice within a month-all got the great flu shot!

Two have been in the hospital and another has had the flu for a month-all got the flu shot!

So much for that!

I have never had so many people I know sick with this viral thing that lasts months, pnuemonia, and flu giving it back and forth to each other, because we are all living/taking care of each other, multiple dr visits, and all got the flu shot.

We have worn masks, many antibiotics, etc etc, washing hands all day and night. 

Yes, I can't imagine anything worse.

This has been the most wicked winter and definitely an epidemic.

I wanted to add that until this year, I never had a flu shot and never got the flu. This year I had to get one because of the newborns in our family. I have never been so sick so long. I don't blame it on the shot but I think some of these viral things, including the flu can just overwhelm anyone esp if you are taking care of sick people or exposed to them.

I was really happy that I got no side effects from the flu shot but like others have pointed out, each year it doesn't always protect against the most virulent strain!

@Carmie -

I am pretty much like you except for this year!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

DH and I were just discussing this....why is this virus causing so much panic.    I read a lot of news and have not seen this addressed...and to blame those in charge is just ridiculous in my opninon.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement.  One can google for articles published back in 2018 in which the CDC was having to cut back on its epidemic prevention programs drastically due to lack of funding.  We had epidemic prevention programs operating in close to 50 countries.  China being one of those countries.

There were multiple calls by public health experts at the time trying to highlight the potential impact to the health of Americans that could occur due to cutting these programs.  They were published at the time in Time, Wall Street Journal, etc.  So it is well documented what they were saying at the time.

Turns out much of what they were saying is being evidenced now. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family.  I wonder why some people get hit really hard with this and some avoid getting it even if exposed.

There needs to be more research on this and a better way to prevent it than immunization shots, which do not seem to work all that well.

I hope everyone is better now and has a great rest of the year.  I wish you all good health.

Esteemed Contributor

I am worried about the flu. My whole family got the shot including my folks, but I am very worried about my elderly father getting the flu. He has congestive heart failure and copd. He will not stay out of Wal Mart, everyday he has to go somewhere. Maybe its from working a lot of long hours for most of his life, I don't know. He can't seem to stay home.

But, Yeah I worry about the flu. And if the Coronavirus comes to this state and ends up being widespread here, I will worry about it too. Mainly because of me and dh's elderly parents though. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie -

Thank you so much. You actually made me cry. Just thanks so much for your kindness. It means a lotSmiley HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@happycat -

He sounds just like my mother!

But she amazingly got over that viral thing faster than any of us! I think she has a strong immune system or something.

I hope your parents stay well!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@on the bay   I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family.  I wonder why some people get hit really hard with this and some avoid getting it even if exposed.

There needs to be more research on this and a better way to prevent it than immunization shots, which do not seem to work all that well.

I hope everyone is better now and has a great rest of the year.  I wish you all good health.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Carmie, they are working on a universal flu vaccine.  Several different groups and agencies are working toward that endeavor.  They are working across the globe in hopes to develop a universal flu vaccine.  It is just really tricky because these little influenza viruses are very difficult and tend to mutate easily.  Not to mention there are so many different types.

And then to many people's surprise countries like Mexico have very high vaccination rates.  So it is important to remember that every year literally hundreds of millions of vaccines are administered.  

@on the bayI also hope you and your family members get better.  One thing that can come into play is that we can be exposed to many different pathogens and not get sick because our immune system is able to successful fight those pathogens so they are not able to inflict disease.  But the immune system does take a toll and then someone can be exposed and Boom!  It is the straw that breaks the camel's back.  Don't know if that had any role in your situation and sometimes we just never know all that we have been exposed to.  At any rate, I wish you and your family members better days ahead!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@happycat -

He sounds just like my mother!

But she amazingly got over that viral thing faster than any of us! I think she has a strong immune system or something.

I hope your parents stay well!

I am so glad she got over the virus quickly! She must have a strong imune system. My dad says if he stops going, thats when he will really start to go down hill. They got a treadmill and I was hoping that might help with this business of having to run around all the time. Not. 

Thank you, I hope your family is done with illnesses also.