Respected Contributor

Does anyone take Vitamin D3 vitamins ? I just purchased a  bottle of the vitamins and they have a garbage smell. I called the pharmacie and was told I was correct they shouldn't small like this. Took them back and purchased a new bottle and these reek also. I had a few left and they don't have that stench. The pharmacy women told my husband that they smell like that because of they are gel capsules. I can't think of taking something that smalls like this. And I can't swallow vitamins hard pills. Please share.

Respected Contributor

I take the D3 that are instant dissolve.  They are little white pills that you put under your tongue.  Also, I don't have gastric issues with these compared to the gel pills.  Mine are Superior Source that I bought on A.

Honored Contributor

Mine are small round gel tablets. There is a slight smell like most pills. Don’t notice any garbage smell. But I am not very sensitive to odors.

Honored Contributor

D3 has never had any scent at all.  I take very few pills, but any that I have consumed are vegan...no gelatin capsules.  Maybe the issue?

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Does anyone take Vitamin D3 vitamins ? I just purchased a  bottle of the vitamins and they have a garbage smell. I called the pharmacie and was told I was correct they shouldn't small like this. Took them back and purchased a new bottle and these reek also. I had a few left and they don't have that stench. The pharmacy women told my husband that they smell like that because of they are gel capsules. I can't think of taking something that smalls like this. And I can't swallow vitamins hard pills. Please share.

I have been taking different brands of D3 soft gel caps for a few years now.

They might have a very slightly mild odor to them, like if you were opening up a bottle of cooking oil, for example.

I don't think that there should be any kind of a heavy, garbage-type odor to them. 

To me, maybe there is a problem with that particular batch?

I would take them back for a refund, and just get them somewhere else if you can.

They're usually pretty common enough to find at most pharmacies. Smiley Happy

Contributor

the little Vitamin capsules do have a funky odor in the bottle, but hold the bottle away from your face when you open and take one out..once out of the bottle, you won't smell anything and take it down with a little water....there, done in a second...and so good for you!!

Respected Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman Calcium.  I think his are great quality .

Honored Contributor

I take D3 gelcaps daily, but I've never noticed a smell to them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

No, they should not have an unpleasant smell.  Mine have virtually no odor, at all.

It depends on the type of 'carrier' oil that is used.  It could be that the oil had changed when you purchased a new supply. 

Some are even using cheap fish oil, rather than the preferred olive oil, which has hardly any smell and is the healthiest carrier. My carrier is soy oil, also without smell, but definitely a cheap source.  

If you still have an old bottle, check the ingredients against the new bottle. If it's the same, it could just be that there were storage problems affecting the oil of the particular lot that your last two bottles came from.

Vitamin D3 is an inexpensive supplement. I'd toss them and purchase another brand.  But check the ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I take D3 gelcaps daily, but I've never noticed a smell to them.

@KingstonsMom 

Me too, 2000mg twice a day. Maybe my old smaller is off because I take several meds and Fish Oil. I pop 'em all in and 1 big swallow, not much time to be smelling them. None of them bother my innards. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)