Honored Contributor

I heard last night that 18,000+ people in the US have died from the flu this year.  Where is the concern and panic about this?  Many have not even bothered to get a flu shot they are so unconcerned.  Hard to imagine that they're now in a panic about the coronavirus.  If we did have an immunization, would people get it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've always been concerned about the flu and get a shot every year.  If a new vaccine is developed for coronavirus, I'd be interested in getting it.  Probably would not want to be one of the first ones!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  That's a great question!

I don't believe I have heard/seen the news discuss the flu and its influence on the DOW/Stock Market the way I see it being mentioned in conjunction with this virus.........could that link be the "real" panic?

Valued Contributor

In the 'flu season 2017-2018, 80,000 Americans died of influenza according to the CDC. This was the highest number in 40 years. 

Honored Contributor

Our local TV news gives regular reports on flu caused deaths.

WHY people refuse to get the vaccine is beyond me.

I'm 72 and have gotten it for as long as I can rememer, at least 20 years, I think, maybe more.

Maybe if these anti-vax folks have loved ones die from the flu they might change their mind. And no, I am not wishing death to anyone.

Respected Contributor

CDC  2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through February 22, 2020, there have been.....

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Honored Contributor

I resent the implication that I can save my life by getting a flu shot.  My husband gets one every year.  Out of the last 4-5 years, he has had flu 3 times.  China and CDC have been wrong about the vaccination for flu several times in the last 5 years. 

I always got one in past years to no avail but I have not gotten one in the past two years, not because I don't want to get it, but because my doctors tell me not to get it because it is moot for me, as it will not work due to my immunglobulin deficiency. 

So, please don't sit in your ivory towers and judge me and many thousands of others in this way.  

Honored Contributor

I get a flu shot every year and have for many years.  A friend of mine has a relative in her 40's who just died from the flu.  She had two young children.  I don't know any details, but it's very sad.

My niece had the flu this year.  She had a flu shot.  She went to the Clinic and got tested and got Tamiflu immediately.  It probably cut a couple of days of the flu off for her.  She was very sick.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Are you blaming people for not getting the flu shot?By the way ,yes i got it ,and would again.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor