Esteemed Contributor

IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

Many, many years ago I joined AARP and never used it and yes, I was 65 at the time.  I agree that the cost for membership is not going to break the bank, I just hate spending money for something that isn't going to benefit me, that is why I am asking for opinions on whether or not it is worth it.  TIA.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

Re: IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

[ Edited ]

NO!!!!!!  We enrolled several years ago because of their Medicare Complete insurance plan through United Health.  Then I found out that you don't have to be an AARP member to have the insurance.  Haven't been a member now for awhile........never used the membership for anything else so don't miss it at all.  Still have the insurance though with United.  But AARP continues to 'entice' us to re-enroll. It's all about their bottom line, $$$.  With senior discounts, who needs AARP?  You can only use one or the other. . 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Lindsays Grandma ,

I guess that I would say that the best thing to do would be to go to their website and look at the member benefits to see if they would be of any interest to you.

You are already aware that as a member you would also get the magazine and the newsletter in the mail too, every other month.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

We are enrolled. Not only do we have our Medicare supplement plan with them, we get great discounts at hotels when we travel. That alone is well worth the miniscule price.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

It seems like they focus on selling insurance.  I know they give some discounts but so do AMAC (previously mentioned), AAA and some others.  Ballotpedia has some information on where they spend their lobbying money.

Honored Contributor

took forever to get off their mailing lists and I wasn't even old enough at the time

willing to bet they will send you even more junk and phone calls 

Valued Contributor

YES................I use their supplement plan  road side towing   and dental plan

its the best thing I ever did and the prices are right.joining for that small amount

wont bankrupt me.

Esteemed Contributor

I can tell you one thing. If you let your membership lapse they will haunt you for the rest of your life with mailings to rejoin.

Honored Contributor

NO