Esteemed Contributor

My sister asked about a cardiologist.

Sis had a Dr. appt. yesterday and finally asked her PCP about seeing a cardiologist. It only took and year and a half of me telling her she needed one.

Her leg swelling from the congestive hear failure is somewhat better as is the cellulitis.

Her kidney function is worse.  No Ibuprofin at all.  No idea what she will do for her arthritis pain.  Had to go off Meloxicam awhile ago.

No idea what she will take for her arthritis. She often said some days the Meloxicam is the reason she could get around.

Ibuprofin is bad for kidneys, Aspirin can cause bleeding and Tylenol is bad for the liver. Pain meds that do work are a no, fear of addiction.  What is someone supposed to do for chronic pain?  Put up with it I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My sister asked about a cardiologist.

DH can't take Ibuprofen but he can occasionally take Alleve and he has a medical marijuana card and takes an opioid.

Frequent Contributor

Good Morning,

I was just looking at the forum to see if you had an update on your sister.  I am glad to see she is going to see a cardio doctor.  Please keep us posted on her progress.

As far as her arthritis goes the only things I could think of would be a heating pad and or

ice pack, whatever may give some relief.  I sometimes will use rubbing alcohol on achy legs or there are the topical creams (hot - cold usually with a heavy scent) to try.      

Esteemed Contributor

@kare29   My sister was born physically handicapped.  She had double club feet.  When she was born her feet were turned inward and it was tot to toe and her legs were pulled up against her stomach.  It's hard to describe.  Her first surgeries were at 2 weeks old.  Casts from her hips to her toes. She has had dozens of surgeries.

I think her arthritis is worse because of her condition.  She would need a bathtub of creams. It's in her back, hips and every joint to her feet. One leg has always been shorter and she has always walked with a limp.

I will suggest the heating pad idea. She handicap didn't keep her from marrying, having kids or working.  I dont know how she did it some days, but she did.

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I can suggest it but knowing her I doubt if she would.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I can suggest it but knowing her I doubt if she would.

@CrazyKittyLvr2    print out information   and suggest that it is worth trying... better than suffering.   If her options are ZERO... and she will not try something  that may help her... then I guess she suffers....

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Thank goodness.  You finally got through to her.  I hope she can get the help and relief she needs.

Her cardiologist can help coordinate care with her other physicians.

Is she seeing a doctor who specializes in arthritis?  Both of my sisters do and they are almost pain free most days.  It has made a world of difference.  They have several types of arthritis in just about every joint and the knuckles of their hands are bumpy and gnarly.  My oldest sister also has cardiac problems plus a whole lot of other health issues.

I know...one step at a time, baby steps.   Your sister made the first step.  I hope she continues so she can have a better quality of life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie   I am very relieved she finally asked.  Surprised, but relieved.  I think she does have an arthritis Dr.  She has so many I cant keep track.

I yip about a PCP and orthopaedist. She has PCP and other Drs. for diabtetes, reg. eye Dr., a special eye guy, arthritis, a hemotologist (very bad anemia) etc.  She will now add kidney Dr. and heart Dr. to the list.

Frequent Contributor

Bless her, she seems to have received more than her fair share.   I don't know anything  about CBD and the effects it may have on someone with CHF and diabetes. These would be topics for her to discuss with her cardiologist. Perhaps the doctor will be able to suggest something to alleviate the arthritis pain if they do periodic blood work to check her for anything that looks off in her liver, kidneys etc. Wishing her the best--Karen