Valued Contributor

Re: I this normal protocol today?

@patofl wrote:

I seriously doubt we are getting the whole story here. First of all , it would be extremely unusual for a doctor to order an opiate like vicodin for anyone for arthritis pain.And second of all , doctors don't just cut people off from addictive meds , they have to be weaned.There are a lot of holes in this story. If someone really was withdrawing from an opiate addiction they would be way way too sick to making a turkey dinner for company.

Oh yes they do, it happened to me!!  Just cut me off!!

Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejan How did you handle it, if you don't mind me asking? We tried to convince my neighbor to follow the pain clinic protocol and give the anti-depressants a try, along with the halved dose of vicodin. She didn't want to hear it.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Old fashioned pain management can be a blunt tool.

If you can get a referral to a chronic pain clinic it can be life changing.  They are headed by a MD and offer PT, OT, ST, dietary management, and mental health.  They first require that all relevant medical services are done.  You have to have an open mind and do the work.  Many more tools than just pain meds.  I am proof.

This is great to hear!!!!! Are you comfortable sharing your story? I'd love to hear how this works. If not, no problem at all. It's always uplifing to know there are successes.

Valued Contributor

That is medical neglect . You are right thst poor lady is in withdrawral and should be in a hospital or rehab and should be weaned off it gradually .She should be under medical supervision and reealuated for her pain level and medicated accordingly by her doctor. Maybe she should go to the emergency room. That poor woman . Her doctor is  terrible,

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina

I was hurt, depressed, shocked and didn't know what to do.  He painted the pain clinic like a horror place.  You'd have to sign a contract, take drug tests, etc.  So, I just worked through it.  I still have some left and have gone as long as a week without taking any.   At my last appt. I told him how I felt when he first told me and he explained it better.  He said in Fla. that's how it is now.  And, really, if I can do without, it is better for me.  Now that I read that the pain doctors aren't going to always prescribe Hydro...I probably won't go!!  If I went and all they did was give me antidepressants, I'd feel worse.  I don't know...I'm still working through it.  I'm pretty depressed.

Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@bathina

I was hurt, depressed, shocked and didn't know what to do.  He painted the pain clinic like a horror place.  You'd have to sign a contract, take drug tests, etc.  So, I just worked through it.  I still have some left and have gone as long as a week without taking any.   At my last appt. I told him how I felt when he first told me and he explained it better.  He said in Fla. that's how it is now.  And, really, if I can do without, it is better for me.  Now that read that the paid doctors aren't going to always prescribe Hydro...I probably won't go!!  If I went and all they did was give me antidepressants, I'd feel worse.  I don't know...I'm still working through it.  I'm pretty depressed.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry that you are depressed. I think it's great that you have gone a whole week without them. Are you in more or less pain than you were before the pain clinic? I think these doctors need to be upfront with the patients as to what is going to happen and what the patient will go through detoxing from years of these pills. I can agree it's probably better to live a life without pain meds, than with, but at what cost? What's the outcome supposed to be after you go through this change in meds?

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Old fashioned pain management can be a blunt tool.

If you can get a referral to a chronic pain clinic it can be life changing.  They are headed by a MD and offer PT, OT, ST, dietary management, and mental health.  They first require that all relevant medical services are done.  You have to have an open mind and do the work.  Many more tools than just pain meds.  I am proof.

This is great to hear!!!!! Are you comfortable sharing your story? I'd love to hear how this works. If not, no problem at all. It's always uplifing to know there are successes.

I was forced into the chronic pain clinic since I was basically at end of the road.

I am about 70 with severe osteoporosis (have lost over 2" and not much left of back), arthritis through my body, part of my hand fused, several cancer surgeries resulting in respiratory and swallowing problems, heart issues, permanent nerve pain from a stroke, nerve pain from brain aneurysm and under care of a nurse manager due to medications.  You name it, it hurt.

I was having no part of any touchy feely clinic.  I was particuly resistant to the mental health aspect of chronic pain.

But it does work.  They have found that opiates don't do much for nerve pain and structural pain needs several types of treatment.  I still have my medical treatments.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina

I made some typo's in my first response that I have corrected.  Also,  I think this is a big political scam.  People are dying more often of alcohol and nicotine abuse, why don't they make that illegal?????  And treat those addicts????  It's crazy!!!

P.S. And may I add VAPING!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

It's awful and it's terrible the way people with chronic pain are treated.

JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

@patofl wrote:

I seriously doubt we are getting the whole story here. First of all , it would be extremely unusual for a doctor to order an opiate like vicodin for anyone for arthritis pain.And second of all , doctors don't just cut people off from addictive meds , they have to be weaned.There are a lot of holes in this story. If someone really was withdrawing from an opiate addiction they would be way way too sick to making a turkey dinner for company.

@patofl   I beg to differ with you.   Some people cannot take anti inflammatory meds and they do use Vicodin.   I have a neighbor who was on Vicoden and Percocet. Now she is on Oxycontin.    I believe she is a drug addict, actually I know she is a drug addict.  BUT the Dr.'s were handing this stuff out like candy.   This is why the Government is getting on them.  Some Dr.'s will write you anything---more rx's more money.  The more you take , the more they have to see you.  I worked for a Internal medicine group. I saw it all.