Super Contributor

Re: I’m starting to feel FAT

[ Edited ]

haha haha!

Too funny!

I have the older model scale with the arrow (pointing accusingly)

at the number....

How many others pick it up...shake it....adjust the arrow to make sure it’s on ZERO....step on slooooooowly, with one foot first.......glance down

::::::::::quickly at the number...(making sure to EXHALE first!).

ETA: of course, one must be naked w/an empty bladder of course! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

I take your post as written for some humor. Many people see exercising as being for physical health. In this picture too many tend to overlook the mental health aspects of exercise.

Many also overlook facts that show a definite correlation between mental health having a very strong connection to ones physical health. I speak from my own experiences with having serious mental health issues and the effect this has on physical health, while not even touching my physical fitness.

There again, too many equate physical fitness with being healthy, that unfortunately is a mistake. Physical fitness is it's own entity, and has very little to do with being healthy. Some very physically fit individuals actually believe because they can run a 26.2 mile marathon, they are immune to serious physical health issues.

A well known Runner/Author, Jim Fixx, fervently believed this. Even his good friend Dr. Kenneth Cooper tried to get him to take a Treadmill Test to check out his heart function  he declined. Unfortunately this cost him his life. Jim Fixx died at an early age, while running, from a Cardiac Arrhythmia, heart attack.

Physical Health/Physical Fitness and Mental Health are each their own specific entities. Possessing 1 does not equate to possession of either of the other. I thought your post with humor is great during this very tough time.

I also felt it a good time to throw out these specific facts that I learned both by reading and attending many Physical/Mental/Fitness Clinics, but primarily from dealing with each individually in my own person life.

Just like being "fat", the word mentioned in this thread's title, does not denote being unhealthy or physically unfit. Being thin also does not equate with being either of the other 2 forms of "health ".

Be safe and stay well, and if it hits you to "exercise"?  Do it slowly to begin, exactly the way this "fitness nut" practices himself. If you've read this far?  YEA!!!!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut -

ThanksSmiley Happy You are right about the mental health aspect. Thank you for that reminder, really!

Stay well!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

I read James Fixxs book “WALKING” back while in the USMC, when it first came out......mid- 70’s??  

I remember the cover was bright red....

I could not believe it when he died, and some wondered if his advice was 

credible.

You are correct.

THIN does not equal HEALTHY. 

In fact, too thin can be unhealthy and “ages” an older person’s appearance.

(I’m simply justifying my newly added 5-lb. weight gain! lol)

Muscle mass/tone, bone density, BP, RHR, BMI, etc., are all factors

determining one’s actual state of health.

Im determined to MOVE  at least 5-days/week. 

For example, since it’s raining here today, I will jump on my Rebounder 

(also jog in place on rebounder) for a minimum of 30-minutes this am.

Then I developed a new habit of simply taking a fast walk in the afternoon around the neighborhood (with my umbrella today!).

I take different routes, or loop around my local Park, where 4-Loops equals 

3-miles.

On mornings with little-to-NO WIND, I take my cheap black vinyl speed jump rope outside and jump while listening to Disco, Rock and Pop 

using Prime Music on my phone and wearing behind-the-neck wired headphones....which are harder to find lately.

(Can’t stand Bluetooth!)

If each of us made a habit of walking/jogging IN PLACE during their favorite

tv program , we’d all remain (or gain) health improvements!

As I said before, take all the clothes (that are hanging on your Treadmill or stationary bike) OFF and let’s determine to emerge as Butterflies in the 

*FALL*!

good luck

Honored Contributor

I think most of us born before the 70's remember Jim Fixx and yes it was totally shocking that he died.

I remember that because he was the 

star of health and running and I remember the idea of advocating that running would keep us in the best of health forever.

Maybe we did not know as much about cardiovascular problems back then? But I guess we should have.

I am glad that they have only recently been able to test quite young athletes before really starting on a career for that reason that super young athletes die on the court.

I don't remember what it is called but you all probably have heard of these athletes-young twenties, teens.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I walk in the house. I also use my pilates chair. I thought I was gaining weight but I lost 6 lb according to my scale. I know it's right. Every year when I go to the doctor I weigh on it. It's always off 1 lb. I have been eating too much candy to have lost 6 lbs. Must be all the stress.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

A lot was known back in the 1970's about the Cardiovascular System. Dr. Kenneth Cooper wrote his 1st book on this in 1968. The first US Astronauts to go into outer space went through his Aerobics Center in Texas for their training.

Dr. Cooper was close friends with Jim Fixx and tried to persuade him to run a Treadmill test to check out his Cardio/Pulmonary System, but Jim declined. Jim Fixx firmly believed that "anyone that can finish running a 26.2 mile marathon" would be unable to if they had heart problems.

His refusal to take up Dr. Cooper's offer cost him his life. Dr. Cooper has written many books on Exercise/Cholesterol. He has thousands of statistical records of men and women in all age groups that compares their Cardio/Pulmonary Running Test Scores/cholesterol/triglyceride levels, and their relation to health issues, even death.

That information was out there for those that were interested in those types of things in the later 1960's. Jim Fixx had his own beliefs and those were eventually the primary reason for his death at a pretty young age.

Dr. Kenneth Cooper gave 4 hour Clinics in our city back in 1971 and I attended 2 of them. Jim Fixx also had a clinic a couple days before our city's annual Marathon, I also went to that one. His clinic was less about health and more about running. Ways to improve your speed/shorten your times in different distances in Road Runs. He also talked about Injury Prevention along with injury recoveries. I did have him sign his book that I purchased at the clinic.

Many of my co-workers couldn't wait to tell me about a "runner dying while running", they knew my passion for running and often liked to talk about the negatives of running. "Your knees will give out/ you only get x number of heart beats in your life", along with a few more.

Anyways! Stay safe and stay well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

E782FB2D-2D77-415D-9FE8-60AE506DC5DF.jpegME TOO!

Esteemed Contributor

90343546_10157948643442141_1691915848437989376_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

three cees:  Too Funny!!!!! You made my day!