Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 --No, a splint is not a cast. It is open down the front of your leg with hard sides and back. it is lined with lots of soft cotton batting then wrapped with a few ace bandages. It is rigid tho and but not as heavy as a cast. My toes stick out of the end of it. 

another thing I t that I forgot to suggest and that is a toilet seat riser---You will have to buy that one--no rental for it. Look on Amazon or prob any of the medical supplies stores that do rentals will have them to buy. that is a key thing---my toilet normally is very short--like for a hobbitWoman Wink so my daughter got me a 5 inch one--they come shorter too.

It seems like forever since I took the nose dive---am getting so very weary of it allI --am 68, retired and used to being on the move. 

Let me know about your appt if you care to share--How are you doing? I never did ask--hope you are coping ok--- 

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Had a health event, found myself in the emergency department at my hospital.   Interrogated by what seemed liked every employee there for a couple of hours, off & on.   When it's determined I needed surgery, the doctor came in & started the same interrogation all over again.  By then I was exhausted & even I was surprised how difficult it became to answer all the questions he was asking me.    He was snapping at me, barely giving me time to answer.  I suggested he call my daughter & he turned, stomped off saying I'll just talk to her.

I know how important it is to communicate with the doctor, with all health professionals.   I did the best I could under the circumstances.

After surgery I was admitted & discovered I was labeled confused & a fall risk.  There was a walker in my room, which I never touched.  And everyone who walked in the room had to ask me ALL the questions like do you know where you are, what year is it, who's the president, on & on.  Every time!

Anyway, I'm home & better.    Any follow up can be done out patient but what an experience.

I had a similar expierience in an ER visit, which made it sound like I was off a little, the next day I went to my heart Dr, a regular visit I had made 6 months earlier, and I questioed him , about what was written on my discharge paper, he laughed , said Medicare is making them do that, But if they followed up in the admitting I would have had some one explain why.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl 

Thank you for the toilet seat riser suggestion, I was looking into a Kohler before this happened so thanks for the reminder I'll get one for sure.

Just had exam the fracture isn't bad so I wear boot only no surgery as long as I behave.

I feel like you do this is life altering, it's so hard to accept these changes. I'm 68 and run a business but have plenty of hours in the kitchen, my relaxing place.  We will both get our normal lives back piece by piece, maybe 3 months total?

I will check in periodically to see how you are doing.  You have been very helpful and i wish you the speediest of recoveries. 🥰

Ps did you see the I-walk knee crutch?  I would have tried that if needed.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 ---what good news about your foot!!! 

great news!!! You wanna trade?Woman Wink  PLEASE behave yourself with the boot----I don't know about you, but I don't bounce as good as I used too. 

Yes I did see that knee crutch and NO,NO,NO would that be for me. I am not that co ordinated anymore---and my family would have me committedWoman Very Happy

I post most on the cancer survivors board--head over there to chat!! would love to trade notes!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, John

Not my first rodeo here either but first time to be labeled Confused, and with that label, fall risk is automatic.

Best wishes to you &  yours as well

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@software 

What you described in the ER sounds pretty standard to me. Between my wife and I. 

I have no idea how many times we have been in the ER. We were admitted every time but just 1.

My last inpatient stay was for a large Hematoma in my right leg. There was no walker for me, but! On my wrist was a yellow band that said Fall Risk. Why, since the only fall I have had, has been when ice skating.

They told me to call the nurse every time I needed to get up on my feet, even accompany me to the toilet. I even had to ask the nurse "would you kindly leave", so she stood outside the door.

Nothing you said about your experience in your ER, or being admitted sounds any different than my many. You get to your room, and the nurse starts the same questions that were asked prior in the ER and the Triage.

Glad to hear you are home and better. Wanted to let you know your experience is pretty standard, at least here in the hospital here, that I still call my 2nd home.

Best wishes to you,

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@software wrote:

Had a health event, found myself in the emergency department at my hospital.   Interrogated by what seemed liked every employee there for a couple of hours, off & on.   When it's determined I needed surgery, the doctor came in & started the same interrogation all over again.  By then I was exhausted & even I was surprised how difficult it became to answer all the questions he was asking me.    He was snapping at me, barely giving me time to answer.  I suggested he call my daughter & he turned, stomped off saying I'll just talk to her.

I know how important it is to communicate with the doctor, with all health professionals.   I did the best I could under the circumstances.

After surgery I was admitted & discovered I was labeled confused & a fall risk.  There was a walker in my room, which I never touched.  And everyone who walked in the room had to ask me ALL the questions like do you know where you are, what year is it, who's the president, on & on.  Every time!

Anyway, I'm home & better.    Any follow up can be done out patient but what an experience.

I had a similar expierience in an ER visit, which made it sound like I was off a little, the next day I went to my heart Dr, a regular visit I had made 6 months earlier, and I questioed him , about what was written on my discharge paper, he laughed , said Medicare is making them do that, But if they followed up in the admitting I would have had some one explain why.

@HLP wrote:

@software wrote:

Medicare!   That explains everything

I have a great deal of respect for medical professionals, they've kept me alive for decades,  I had my first surgery at the age of 6.  The hospital I use is all electronic, so it just seems so redundant.  

I've never liked labels, I don't even have a nickname!   

But I have one now.

Continued good health to you.