Honored Contributor

Re: I know I can Google this, but

I've never put a lot of merit in hand sanitizers.

Then -and- now, especially. 

I've read where you need to use a substantial amount in the

fashion of washing hands (between fingers, back of hands, wrists),

for it to be effective.  Makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

I've never been a big user of hand sanitizers. I feel confident with washing my hands and using a hand/nail scrub brush while doing so. If I can't find a sink to wash my hands then I don't touch my face or eat food.

Honored Contributor

I have baby wipes .... I add alcohol to them in a zip lock bag and squeeze the bag to distribute the alcohol onto the wipes... I use these while out shopping... fingers... cart etc.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thats what it's made is, alcohol and aloe, except the commercial product has emolients added to prevent it from drying skin.  They aren't available so the home-made product may be unsatusfactory if used often.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The recipe I saw posted here a couple of times in recent days was 2 parts isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher) and one part aloe vera gel.

Super Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Sounds like you already googled a dupe recipe online.

Works but good luck finding ingredients. 

There are many, many alternatives to hand sanitzer and those blasted wipes. Think outside the box.

No, I did NOT “google it”, which is what I posted.

Just thought if alcohol is the “active”, then what kind of gel would be best....

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

3 parts rubbing alcohol (use only 91% or higher, no weaker)

1 part aloe (pure aloe, not a blend)

It will be watery. Do not add more aloe to try and make it thicker.

Thanks for tip!

So what makes the store brands so thick?

Do you think pure glycerin would be the same? It’s all natural, clear and absorbs well.

I am having a tough time finding the rubbing alcohol!

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Snowpuppy 

Can you point me in the direction of the alternatives to hand sanitizer and wipes. I've been trying to find the ingredients to no avail. 

Question for everyone:

What do you use to disinfect your fruits and vegetables, that are able to be washed, such as apples or melons? Do you just use soap and water, or do you use a bleach solution?  What is the most effective, and safe way of doing it?

@CaliKat and @Snowpuppy - We are not using soap on our vegetables. The soap can get inside the skin and cause problems. Plain water and a scrub with a brush is what we are doing. 

Trusted Contributor

Question for everyone:

What do you use to disinfect your fruits and vegetables, that are able to be washed, such as apples or melons? Do you just use soap and water, or do you use a bleach solution?  What is the most effective, and safe way of doing it?

I only use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray and leave for 10 minutes then rinse. 

Respected Contributor

Do These Cleaners Help Kill Coronavirus?

I am pretty stocked up on some of the Mrs. Meyers Multi-Purpose cleaners, ditto for Method, which, by the way, I believe IS a Mrs. Meyer's product because I called the # on the back of each product and the answering messages were identical.  Soooo, as I sit here awaiting an online reply from the company, does anyone know if either of these products lines helps with the Coronavirus?  One Method product I have says "antibacterial" but the Mrs. Meyers products do not.  Any help is appreciated, and if I hear back from customer service, I will post what they say.