Honored Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

Diabetes is a disease that has ravaged our family for several generations. My Moms father died in 1946 from causes. My Dads sister the same. At 13 my son was diagnosed with it. In his fathers family there is diabetes. So whats your point,Mom.? Sometimes it is just DNA . And I do not mean "just".

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Diabetes is a disease that has ravaged our family for several generations. My Moms father died in 1946 from causes. My Dads sister the same. At 13 my son was diagnosed with it. In his fathers family there is diabetes. So whats your point,Mom.? Sometimes it is just DNA . And I do not mean "just".

Yup.

"A predisposition to develop type 1 diabetes is passed through generations in families, but the inheritance pattern is unknown."

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/type-1-diabetes#

Type 2 has subtle genetic components, too, but, there's a large environmental (eating, food, etc.) influence.

But, if you think you're going to change some people's minds or even have them comprehend, you're beating your head against the wall. 😩

Honored Contributor

ILTH: I thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  May I ask you and everyone else on the wellness forum to please consider calling/writing your congressman. about the skyrocketing cost of insulin. Many Americans can no longer afford to buy insulin. Particularly those that are type 1 diabetics, they rely on this medication to live. They do not have the option of taking oral medication. Thank goodness walmart is still offering the an older type of insulin in a generic form. But sad to say the newer insulins can cost 150 to 300 dollars a vial. A lot of americans are going to Canada a few times a year to purchase the same insulin for about 35 dollars a vial. 

With all of the gifted minds in medicine, our governement , our country should be able to solve this.Therre are laws to prevent price gouging in things such as hurricanes, but essentially the pharmaceutical companies are price gouging the americans thast need insulin to survive.  If other countries can make insulin affordable then the US certainly can. This did not happen until recent years, it had always been reasonably priced before. 

The drug company that makes epipens did the same thing with the price of that life saving drug as well.

Also please contact the american diabetes association to see in what other actions you may be able to take to help resolve this critical problem. 

Thank you ever so much.

Honored Contributor

That story doesn't make an sense at all to me.  I don't think Insulin has been $25 in a very, very long time.  Of course, it could be that their co-pay was $25.  We don't know that $1500 medication was.  We don't know if it was insulin, it could have been one of the scores of new diabetes drugs with aren't insulin.  If 99% of patients found themsleves in that situation, those patients would have gone back to the doctor and told that doctor that they couldn't afford a $1500 drug so they would continue with the insulin that was working just fine....thank you very much.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If there was a way to dramatically reduce the amount taken

or even eliminating it completely...that would be good, yes?

It would be better if there were no diabetics in the world and no one needed insulin.  But neither of those things is going to happen.

Honored Contributor

How could diabetes be eliminated? 

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

How could diabetes be eliminated? 

Gene therapy, for one thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  my diabetes thread speaks of all the new  treatments that are experimental, and some that are now being used. Read  it if you like. There are a lot of new things on the horizon. I started it, to let the diabetics know what is really happening. It is all scientific  research and DR related articles . No claims that they will cure you ,by eating certain foods..There is lots to be hopeful about..don't despair, it will happen..better times are ahead for all of us

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Its been in my family too..Woman Sad

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West