Respected Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

@sidsmom There's no question that some are successful in lowering their A1c through diet and eating clean.  And, it's frustrating when they won't dedicate to giving it a try, rather than eventually becoming insulin dependent.  With this we can agree.  

However, there are many variables and this is NOT always the answer.  In fact, it's never a cure.  It remains daily management, or the levels will creep right back up.  For some, such dietary restrictions are intolerable.

I'm a case in point of one of the 'variables.'  My mom and her mom both started with elevated glucose levels at almost the exact same age.  Both women were tiny, my mom being only 106 lbs throughout life.  Both grew up with their own abundant gardens, eggs and their chicken in the pot wasn't Kentucky fried.  It was from their stock, organically, free range raised.  

I learned from my family to enjoy earth's bounty at it's freshest.  My favorite thing is/was to wander the garden, grab veggies and wash then off on the spot, enjoying them with gusto. I called it, 'garden lunch.'  I have always preferred healthy nourishment.  

But, guess what.  At the same age as my mother and grandmother, my A1c began to rise.  At A1c of 5.6 to 5.9, my doc gave me a script for Metformin, "to avoid going full on diabetic."  I declined because my mom's values never crossed beyond prediabetic numbers. I hoped to be as lucky. 

As an alternative, I lost just 10% of my body weight, bringing me to ideal range. I added to my steps and mileage per week. And, I monitored my diet like a drill sargeant.  Guess what again.  My A1c is holding steady at 5.6 and I suspect it will (if not higher) for the rest of my life.  Just as my mom's and grandmother's did. It's going to be tough to keep the values where they are. 

Trust me, I retired my RN license in May, so I know how to work a program.  I've given it my ALL.  You really must be able to look at all sides of this issue.  I SO wish that 'change' was always the answer, for preventily or 'curing' Type II diabetes, but it isn't.    

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If there was a way to dramatically reduce the amount taken

or even eliminating it completely...that would be good, yes?

Diabetes and Insulin are not for self medicating or tinkering with the dosage Rx.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

If there was a way to dramatically reduce the amount taken

or even eliminating it completely...that would be good, yes?

Diabetes and Insulin are not for self medicating or tinkering with the dosage Rx.

@granddi 

Never said it was...🤦‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch 

I enjoyed reading your personal story.

But like someone who was 300 pounds morbidly obese,

lost weight to reach their goal of 120lbs....they will never

continually say ’I am a morbidly obese person’ when weighing 120lbs.

Just like someone who is T2D, changes diet/lifestyle &

no longer needs medication or monitoring...they are not diabetic.

But if those 2 examples begin doing the things which got them

in trouble to begin with?  They will gain weight & T2D symptoms

will return. 

If it means life or death...dietary restrictions wouldn’t be ‘intolerable.’

I pray your patients never heard that from you or the doctors 

you worked with. 

One doesn't just ‘wake up’ suddenly being diagnosed as T2D.

It’s a foodborne/lifestyle condition.  It’s not a ‘surprise’.

You don’t have to be overweight to have T2Diabetes.

That’s where the intramyocellular lipids come into play.

All the dietary fats like meat/dairy/cheese/eggs/oils/butter...

all those compromise one’s insulin sensitivity by storing inside

the muscles & liver.  One could be 106lb...but eat a fatty diet

and it’s going to have an accumulative effect where they are

insulin resistant. 

There’s a witty saying....

Illnesses aren’t genetic,

but Recipes are.

Great grandmother, grandmother, mother & now current generation...

they all cook their ‘famous family whatever’ with heavy fats/oils

of their time.  It’s not genetic...but family habits. But people

LOVE to say their condition is ‘genetic.’

It’s rare to have someone work the program I know so well.

10-15% of daily calories (fat) with no meat/dairy/eggs/oil.

If one follows that simple life-changing guideline, it will be

definitely life-changing...forever. Heart disease, diabetes, obesity,

auto-immune issues...just a myriad of issues fixed by simple food.

Off medications, go to their annual checkup & coming out 

with flying colors....that’s success.   I know SO many people who 

have eliminate so many illnesses/conditions in their life with

just a change in diet. 

If those dietary restrictions are not intolerable...that’s a choice.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom I understand where you're coming from and your enthusiasm in trying to redirect others into a more healthy lifestyle. It's just not doable for everyone.  I'm glad it's been a success for you.   

I was always a cheerleader for my patients' health.  It was my patients, who fought like heck to stay on target, feeling restricted diets intolerable.  It was a battle!  The young adults would feel particularly out of the loop socially when on restricted diets. Many of my population also couldn't afford shopping for healthier items. Many other things came into play, including lack of family/friend support and education.

Yes, someone morbidly obese who loses half their body weight will no longer see themselves as obese, but they're only in a state of remission from an addiction, just like with any other substance.  It becomes a lifetime, ongoing health issue.  I think we've all seen my 600 lb life.  I've seen my share of Big Boy beds in hospital, too.  They aren't cured and most with good insight will admit such.  

With many health conditions, we can place the issue in a state of control, but it doesn't mean it is cured. Almost all medical resources in regards to Diabetes II will repeatedly say:  

"Although there's no cure for type 2 diabetes, studies show it's possible for some people to reverse it. Through diet changes and weight loss, you may be able to reach and hold normal blood sugar levels without medication. This doesn't mean you're completely cured. Type 2 diabetes is an ongoing disease.Dec 18, 2018" I might add, that responses may change with aging, as well, even when staying on course.  

I think we agree on several issues, but once a disease process takes hold, such as Diabetes II, it's gonna lie in wait!  Maybe for years, with luck. I'm happy just seeing folks maintain some good control. But I would never want to tell them they're cured after a reversal, and never to stop occasional BS checks. I'd feel so responsible to see them roll into the ER after believing they were 'cured.' 

This discussion makes it clear why early prevention (and education) will always be the best medicine, and yes, diet is a big part of this.  That said, mindful eating is my goal, not extremes. 

I'm gonna shut up now :-).  I'm feeling a bit like an intruder, as it is. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

No not everyone does. It isn't a given. It depends on why you are diabetic

But you won’t know unless one tries.

People don’t want to change diet & lifestyle.

And that’s the definition of choice. 

I've been taking insulin for 10 years now and I eat low carb and have for all these years. I've became a vegetarian and have managed to keep my blood sugars consistent for most of the time..I can't see the time when I can stop taking insulin..do u think I enjoy giving myself shots every night..along with doing blood sugar tests each morning? You think its that easy??? Sorry...this makes me very angry!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2. I thought you might be interested in this article I ran across today.

Prices for common insulin will be slashed in half after outcry
https://news360.com/article/506768720

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Some people are not able to make their own insulin. 

Honored Contributor

SidsMom: What and where is that evidence. Need chapter and verse.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it’s criminal to price people out of the market for medications . This is why we need healthcare for all not for some.