Honored Contributor

Re: I had to off my Meloxicam for surgery....

@Carmie wrote:

@mousiegirl   My husband says the same thing.  He wants me to push the doctor to do surgery.

I have an appointment on Thursday and will be receiving synvisc in both knees.  Over the  last couple of years, my left knee has been the painful one, though the X-ray shows the right knee is just as bad.  Now the right knee has caught up.  I think maybe because I am favoring the left and limping.  Now they both hurt.

If these injections do not work, I guarantee we are going to have the conversation about surgery.  We have cancelled trips this year and I haven't been able to take my grandkids places because I can't walk.  I am getting tired of being home bound.

I also miss the kids in the school where I volunteer.  I don't go in as often.  The pain and mobility issues are really getting to me.  I want to keep active and do things while I am young.  I can spend my later years sitting around at home.

@Carmie   I can relate, and frankly, I would insist on surgery if your doctor balks.  I hope all goes well for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Hi RLS,

Please, please be careful and wary with your continued use of Mobic.  I used it for a number of years for chronic migraine and it was quite successful in minimizing the pain.  Due to my professional demands, which you can pretty much determine from the attached photo, the stressors wre great, so migraine pain was great as well, thus the Mobic.  However, and this is a huge "however," it caused kidney damage to the extent that I am considered a "Chronic Kidney Disease" patient, due to damage created by the drug Mobic.  It has been determined, without doubt, that Mobic was the cause.  Note: I did not abuse this drug, taking only one tablet with breakfast.

Bioskills Ribbon Cut.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: I had to off my Meloxicam for surgery

@sfnative   Thank you for mentioning the bad side effects if this drug.  I have been refusing to take it for years because I worry mostly about liver damage.

i finally got to the point where I had to do something for the pain, so I have an RX of this drug.  I only take it for a few days until the inflammation is down and stop.

I am not a pill popper and take no other drugs.  I hope and pray this drug won't make me    have problems with my liver or kidneys.

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I used to have migraines, but they finally stopped and it's been a few years since I have had one.  The pain is unmeasurable and stops you in your tracks.s

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

Should you have a migraine flare, please call your doc immediately and ask for an rx for Sumatriptan (nasal spray).  If only this were available those years I was taking Mobic.  Sumatriptan (Imitrex in nasal spray form) knocks my migraines out 90% of the time.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative    Thanks, I have never heard of this drug.  My migraines seemed to be related to my hormones and when I went through the change, they stopped.

My 14 year of grand daughter now gets them really bad.  She misses several days of school a month because of migraines.  She is an honor's student and I hate to see this happen to her.  She wants to do well with a good portfolio and attendance record for college.

I will give her mother this info and ask her to check with her doctor.  I hope this works.

thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Good luck with your shots.  I had been getting shots in my right knee for a year. They worked for awhile.  My knee is so crooked and add the partially torn menicus and I have to do the TKR. The menicus causes my knee to catch and I have to gently move my leg to get it uncaught (is that a word).  If I don't have a walker I have to hold onto the kitchen counter to move around. It's take a step w/left foot and drag the right.

My hip  was bone on bone.  That son of a gun hurt.

I don't know if I'll know how to walk without a walker or cane.

Don't be like me and put it off.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Thank you.  

OMG, I feel for you.  I hope your upcoming surgery leaves you pain free and up and running.  I hope you post your experiences.

I admit I am scared to have surgery, but the pain is getting to be too much.  I have a younger sister who is worse off than I am.  She is a teacher and on her feet all day long.  

I hope the injections will work for now.  Cortisone didn't do a thing.  

I do know now that I will eventually need surgery, but have to have the doctors on board before I can.  They feel I will wear the knees out within 10 years and need a replacement.  I am active, but it's not like I jump rope or anything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  I just hope the knee surgery  goes as well as the hip did.  I know the knee is a tougher surgery.

There just comes a time when the pain wins and you have to do the surgery.  It's so exhausting, both physically and mentally, being in constant pain.  I know for myself my whole personally changed and it was from being in pain.

My sister is also worse off than I am.  I seriously don't know how she even functions.  Even getting her knee done won't help that much.  She has awful arthritis in her back and every joint from her hips to her ankles.  Her being born with double club feet caused a lot of problems for her.

I assume tomorrow at this time I will be in the recovery room.  My worry right now is no coffee til after surgery.  Food I don't care about missing, no caffine in the am.  Aaaahh.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@sfnative    Thanks, I have never heard of this drug.  My migraines seemed to be related to my hormones and when I went through the change, they stopped.

My 14 year of grand daughter now gets them really bad.  She misses several days of school a month because of migraines.  She is an honor's student and I hate to see this happen to her.  She wants to do well with a good portfolio and attendance record for college.

I will give her mother this info and ask her to check with her doctor.  I hope this works.

thanks again.

@Carmie 

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.  Am finding that this severe sciatic pain is really limiting the time I can spend on my laptop, meaning I can only do it twice a week, because it causes so much pain.

Wanted to let you know that I have a dear friend with a daughter who has very bad migraines and has since she was about 10.  It was absolutly horrible trying to obtain decent treatment for her until she wa 18, as state laws prohibited prescribing so many drugs to her due to her age.

However, I hope that the Sumatriptan nasal spray can be dosed to those under 18.  I'm deficient in that knowledge, unfortunately.  What she also needs is Botox injections, which she will not qualify for until she is 18.  There are strides being made like never before in this area.  Encourage your daughter/son to keep up with what's going on through migraine.com, joining their forum and reading the articles.  They also post everything possible from drug companies regarding releases of drugs via FDA, pending releases and current research.

Will keep your granddaughter in my prayers.  XXX

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sfnative   Thank you for your help and the prayers.

I hope you get relief for your pain.  I will pray for you as well.