Valued Contributor

Re: Hystery ectomy coming up---can use advice

Had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago.  Doctor did it robotically.  I also had to see a urologist who ran a few tests.  It was needed because my bladder would have to be  raised.  I did not have a mesh insert just a sling.  No pain, no discomfort.  Home in 2 days.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hysterectomy coming up---can use advice

I had a hysterectomy At 42. My life has been so much better since. I probably know at least 10 women that have had one. One friend was in her early thirties.

Honored Contributor

Had one four years ago due to cancer.  It was robotic.  I have three one inch scars.  I was in the hospital overnight.  It was uneventful.  No pain or discomfort at all.  I didn't have to take a pee test.  I had bladder issues from radiation and a procedure where they went in and looked at the inside of the bladder.  It sounds worse than it was.  That procedure had no pain, but a tiny bit of discomfort.

Trusted Contributor

I am wondering if the OP meant a unterine biopsy instead of a urine test.  There was a little discomfort when I had the uternine biopsy, but nothing major;  It was done in the doctor's office well before the hysterectomy.

Respected Contributor

I feel so dumb I’m fairly new here I don’t know how to start a thread or know how to heart someone and when I get hearted I don’t know if I’m supposed to respond.

Contributor

You will find it to be the BEST thing that you have ever done for yourself. After getting over the soreness etc. you will be better than ever. Good luck. It will be a breeze.

Trusted Contributor

After open Heart surgery,  this was a piece of cake. Went home the next morning.

Occasional Contributor

I had a hysterectomy last May at age 46 due to fibroids and heavy bleeding. My doctor used the Da Vinci robotic surgery method. Just an incision in the belly button and two other very small incisions. He left my ovaries since I haven't gone through menopause yet but removed the fallopian tubes since studies have shown that many ovarian cancers start there.

I was home the next day and only needed pain medication for 2 days. Was off work for two weeks and no driving per doctor's orders. Be sure not to lift more than the reccommended weight even if you are feeling better. I overdid it a bit and could tell. I am SO glad to be done with the symptoms I was having. Had my gallbladder removed six months after my hysterectomy and I thought that recovery was worse. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Trusted Contributor

I had a partial hysto done in 2003 (ovaries remained). I had the old-fashioned procedure similar to a C-section with stitches/staples. I was off work 7 weeks - had an infection in the hospital (I was there for 3 days) and then home to recover. Slow recovery with manageable pain. Just couldn't drive, lift, and had to use a special chair for the toilet so I didn't have to strain to get up. I felt pretty good after a few weeks but rested a lot -- that anesthetic took awhile to get out of my system plus I was on antibiotics. Carried a pillow against my tummy when I walked or rested and that felt good.

In spite of it all, it was the best thing I did!

Super Contributor

I had complete one at age 42.  I had endometrosis, cysts, and fibroids. Periods lasted 15 days before, so I was SO happy to have it done. One tip, take a soft bed pillow with you for the ride home, and hold it to your tummy. It will feel comforting. I read that before I had my surgery, and it really felt good. Good luck!!