Honored Contributor

Re: How to Encourage a Co-Worker to Move...

@terrier3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Maybe she is busy and trying to get her work done instead of marching around the office with you.

Actually no - she's busy reading us her doctor's reports, complaining or just not coming in to work.

She's in too much pain to get much work done.

And here y'all thought the OP had a genuine concern for this co-worker; for the co-worker, not the effect the co-worker is having on her.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

'I don't know exactly why', but I'm only thinking that it's probably legally best to not interfere/suggest/etc., etc.  Hopefully she won't fall, but if she does, notify your employer so they can call a medical transport to her Urgent care clinic, or whatever your company's protocol recommends.  It's always better to 'go by the (company) rules' and regulations. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

People with her issues probably have days, where if one thing doesn't hurt, another does.  Pain can literally run your life.  She's still working, that says a lot! Keep inviting her to the kitchen, on her good days, she'll probably join you. I'm sure the pain is no help on her moving which would help her in the weight department. I'm willing to bet, she's doing all she can.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Maybe she is busy and trying to get her work done instead of marching around the office with you.

Actually no - she's busy reading us her doctor's reports, complaining or just not coming in to work.

HH (nurse?)--Haven't you ever heard that if you have a desk job, you should get up and walk around ---it's not just beneficial--it's essential to your health. 

Seems she should be off on STD or LTD--too much pain, not getting work done.  I'm sure she's disrupting others with all of this. 

Wonder if she has any loved ones at home?  Or if she is on her own and work is the only place to be around people?

Valued Contributor

I have severe arthritis and other diseases as well , I cannot exercize .

My problems are too numerous to list , Moving is very difficult A fit bit can be encouraging but also discouraging at the same time , Being able to or not being able to accomplish what others can do can defeat you , Getting a small piece of exercize equipment she can actually do at her desk on her breaks would be a big help , Like something she can do in her chair with her fett , A small leg exercize type thing that can be folded under desk and used a few times a day would accomplish more and keep corculation going and she could do sitting down. There is a piece of equipment sold on qvc and the other channel kike a small exercycle type machine that is perfect , I in fact have one ,

cathy from ma .-

Valued Contributor

I have the  "Wonder core" on hsn but they sell one here n qvc as well , The" wonder core" is 515-254 and the one on qvc is F12638-It can be used sitting in a chair

cathy from ma,

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@NYC Susan...possibly the word NEVER was harsh but we have learned with my DH daughter that she does exactly what she wants to do, even when she is offered good advice...her life is difficult because of her continued bad choices. 

Wow, this sounds like my daughter.  She gets good advice, agrees it is good and turns around and does it her way.  Sadly her way seldom works causing her to constantly spend time and money to fix the bad choice she made.  Some people never grow up.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

And here y'all thought the OP had a genuine concern for this co-worker; for the co-worker, not the effect the co-worker is having on her.

Of COURSE I care about her - I have known her professionally for over 30 years!

I was responding to the comment that maybe I was bothering her while she was trying to get her work done. I just stated what was going on...she's in pain and off sick a lot now.

BTW - she just got permission from Medicare to have back surgery -this is the third time she has had the procedure because she has bulging discs again. She also has sleep apnea, irregular heartbeat, high BP and the weight issue - and she's concerned about going under anesthesia. The operation will be in two weeks and she'll be on disability for 3-6 months,

We NEVER mention her weight - but she just told us that she lost 7 pounds in one week, so the doctor must have spoken to her about the situation.

She's single, no children and has a sister who can help her (although her sister is still working full time and won't always be available).

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

I have an update - my co-worker had back surgery this week. She first saw the surgeon on Monday and was in surgery by Thursday - I didn't realize that it was that easy to schedule a major operation like that so quickly!. She said she had 3 bulging discs.

She also said that she's lost 20 pounds in the last 3 weeks - and says she will continue on - she has 120 more to go.

She said that the surgery was a wakeup call and she never wants to go through this again (this was her 2nd back surgery).

Hopefully she will be up and feeling better soon! And MOVING more (pain free).

Honored Contributor

New update.

My co-worker has lost 20 pounds total now since her back operation 6 weeks ago, but will be off work for at least another month.

She said that the doctor told her she will always have intermittent numbness in her leg and will walk funny too (she's going to PT).

Moral of the story, ladies - keep moving!