Honored Contributor

Re: How Are You're Hands Holding Up

I use soap and water at home; only use hand sanitizer when I go out someplace.  And since I'm not going out much, I haven't used much sanitizer.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

With all this hand sanitizer use, mine are so dry.  Just when I thought they were recovered from the winter, now the skin (esp around the cuticules) are so dry the skin on my fingertips is peeling off.,

Why would you be using it constantly if you are not leaving your home? 

Did I say I don't leave home?  No.  I have to go out to the store.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Not speaking for anyone else, but I was way overdoing it with the handwashing and sanitizing. I started isolating at home a couple of weeks ago and the first week I washed my hands a lot and used hand sanitzer sporadically. I have no idea why. Smiley Surprised I think maybe it had just become a habit? Anyway, ended up with terrible red peeling/cracked skin. Mentioned it to my daughter and she said "you're not even leaving your house....when you wake up in the morning the same germs are still there as when you went to bed...no new ones snuck in" lol.....

Smiley Embarassed

My hands are doing much better now that I reined it in a bit.  

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

@Janey2 ....  all soaps will work, and they are the preferred method of doing so.   You have to follow the 20 second rule.  That's what I do.  I rarely use sanitizer on my hands. I do use wipes and sprays for household surfaces.

@Janey2 wrote:

@JesssMe  Goat milk soap is not strong enough to kill these germs. If you use a soap like Dial you do not need hand sanitizer.

Respected Contributor

@ItsME  I stand corrected. I guess I just feel better using a stronger soap. I never liked germs even in the best of times.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 One word: LOTION

For years and years I've used Lubriderm on my hands a couple of times a day and I am big on hand washing.

No need for dry hands. Use lotion and rub in well to all areas. Easy peasy.

Esteemed Contributor

I swear by First Ai Beauty Ultimate Repair Cream. Great for your hands and the entire body.

Esteemed Contributor

Being an OG germaphobe from way back used hand sanitizer way to much.  It will mess with you skins PH and break down the mantel creating tears or rashes on your skin making you more suseptible.  Only use when absolutely necessary. Any soap should for regular hand cleaning.

Honored Contributor

Funny you should ask because I keep putting hand sanitizer on, but the arthritis in my hands has gotten so bad they don't even want to close anymore.

So I have a machine that has hot wax I dip my hands in (mainly for the arthritis).  I've had one for years.

I constantly have to wash off the hand sanitizer to put my hands in the hot wax (don't want to contaminate the wax), then I put sanitizer on hands and/or wash them again.

I'm way, way over paranoid about dirty hands.  I've always been but it is stupid with me at this point.

Meanwhile my hands really hurt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using that jar of Vaseline jelly I found in the back of my medicine chest. It really helps create a moisture barrier to help relieve my dry hands. Even after repeated washings, the jelly stays on and keeps them from drying out.

When I worked at the hospital I used a skin barrier cream for hands. It's like an invisible glove product you can find online.