Valued Contributor

I've been caregiver for my Mom with Alzheimer's for the past five years. She lives with us and for the past year we have had help 3 days a week. Her disease progressed slowly and we had more good days than bad until a month ago. 

Mom has has been sleeping a lot and 3 weeks ago began refusing food and drink. If we beg and plead we could maybe get her to drink a small glass of water or juice or maybe a few spoonfuls of soup or broth. We went to see her doctor this morning and she was so weak I had to get help getting her to the car and a wheelchair to get her up to the office.

After examining my Mom and seeing how much weight she has lost he referred us to hospice care and all that that implies. Has anyone been through this? What exactly does the hospice nurse do for the family? I am grateful we can keep her with us until it is her time to leave us. I've known this day was coming but I guess I'm still in shock. I thought we had more time.

Any experience with hospice you wish to share is appreciated.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Regular Contributor

I am sorry for your situation, I do not know much about hospice care, though it seems to me like you want the best for her at this point , so professional care is best.

Trusted Contributor

Hospice is a God send.  Our 33 yr old son had cancer and for the last 5 days of his life he had hospice.  We wish we would have know sooner that he was eligible, but we thought hospice was for the elderly.  It would have helped our daughter-in-law during the day.  She also received emotional support from Hospice.  They are there for the family as well as the patient.  A nurse came daily and checked on our son and tended to some of his medical needs, such as cleaning out his trach, gastric tube, etc.  Some Hospices have inpatient care if the person doesn't want to stay at home.  I volunteered a few years ago at Hospice helping the Spiritual Counselor in her office.  She wanted me to go visit the patients, but I just wasn't ready for that.  A team is involved in Hospice; people volunteer to visit lonely patients and then you can have a Spiritual Counselor, Rabbi or Priest come minister.  Don't be afraid to ask questions on your mom's care.  They are there to help you. 

Esteemed Contributor

My friend's mother had the same situation as did I with my mother in law.  Hospice is wonderful for the person involved and the family.   But, Hospice doesn't necessarily mean that it is the end.  My friend's mom entered Hospice over a year ago and is confined to a nursing home....her weight had dropped and she refused to eat but, then, slowly with patience she started to eat again and gained some weight.  She is limited as to activities as she has severe dementia but that was over a year ago....she moves in and out of the Hospice program as needed.  Sometimes, the loved ones will respond more to a care giver or in her case it was a Hospice worker.  Hospice will help you cope at this difficult time but it doesn't always mean, loss is inevitable.  

Esteemed Contributor

My father was in hospice care, they are truly a God send, not only for the patient but the family as well!

The nurse assigned to my father was by his side her entire shift, monitoring his vitals, managing his pain level, she was in communication the entire time with his doctor.

This particular hospice had volunteers for the family, they made sure that we took care of ourselves (by eating and drinking), and offered a shoulder for us when we needed  to cry.

I pray for your Mom and your family @Debzzz!

Trusted Contributor

Hospice care is wonderful for the patient AND family. It is a time of kindness that allows the family to BE a family and alleviates the burden of caregiving. My Dad was in hospice while in a skilled nursing facility, and everything focused on Dad's comfort -- he even gots backrubs! Don't be afraid, but welcome the help. Hospice workers, whether providing in-home or in a facility, are compassionate and supportive and dedicated to what they do. The scramble to prolong, to treat, to pump drugs into the system,, to medicate goes awayand instead the focus is on comfort, dignity, respect, peace, and just being.

I know this is a scary and worrisome time  -- hospice has chaplains and counselors that can help YOU, too! It is a care circle.

Valued Contributor

Debzz, I am very sorry for your difficult situation and would encourage you to explore Hospice care for your mom. I was a Hospice RN for ten years and found it to be a wonderful service and support for patients nearing the end of their lives as well as their families. As the previous poster stated, it does not always mean that death is imminent and in some cases patients remain on the program for up to six months.

You would be given a Hospice RN who would co-ordinate all of your mom's care which would take a great burden off your shoulders. Any questions at all from medication issues, pain issues, changes in behavior, need for aides etc go through her. She will contact the MD for you and facilitate any changesetc. In addition, most Hospices have back-up units at your local hospital which can provide repite for the caregivers or necessary evaluation as issues arise or, for some who don't want to die at home, a quiet restful place to pass without the noisy bustle of most hospital units.

Your case manger will provide emotional support to you and your extended family and explain the changes you will begin to see as your mom nears death. Taking the fear out of the process makes it so much easier for all. You will also be given follow up resources such as grief counseling etc for your own needs later.

This is only a brief overview but I want to commend you for being a caregiver. It is a noble calling and one that is routinely overlooked. Often even close family members fail to grasp the enormity of your devotion and sacrifice but I truly believe that love will extend beyond the bounds of time and space and shine brightly forever. I wish you and your mom all the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs Beautifully stated!

Respected Contributor

I had Hospice care at home for my precious husband's lsst month of life. He had congestive heart failure, so I am unfamiliar with Alzheimer's, but I can give you a little insight into Hospice.  I can't recommend a specific Hospice group because you probably aren't near me.  At the hospital (and I am sure at your home) we interviewed representatives from two Hospice groups. One was just ok. The other was professional and outstanding in her presentation. We chose them.  The rep for the company you choose can explain to you what they do. Prior to his coming home, Hospice provided a hospital bed, portable toilet, oxygen, rolling table for the bed, etc. A nurse was here when the ambulance brought my husband home. She evaluated him, and coordinated a team to work with him and with me. They literally embraced us both.  Each day they sent a nurse to check him out. Brought ample supplies of all medical needs, and arranged for everything on a daily basis.  He was seen by an RN every day, as well as others who came to bathe him, change his linens and sleepwear, check his food intake, check medicine, and council with me about everything. They did this daily for his last month, increasing the number of visits per day until he passed away. We always had phone numbers and contact info just in case. There was never a rush. They stayed, chatted with both of us, and made each visit a pleasure.  Two RN's were here when he passed, who bathed him, dressed him as we requested, did all necessaary paperwork and stayed with me as the mortuary came to transport him. The even clipped a lock of his hair to keep as a memory and for any DNA needs in coming years.(Everyone should do this.) I felt comfort in knowing that they had so much concern for me and my welfare.

Early in this process, they sent a wonderful social worker who spent hours with me and with him, providing guidance and comfort. I could not have asked for more. Since DH's passing, I have been offered attendance at grief counseling sessions, and heard from several of the people who attended him. The social worker still contacts me.  For all this there was absolutely no charge. It was priceless.

In addition to Hospice, we also had Gifted Nurses, who provided us with full time care in 12 hour sessions. There is a charge for this, which I honestly don't remember. As his condition worsened, and heavy meds were required, which I did not want to give myself, the CNAs changed to LPN's, which was a bit costlier, but in our case necessary.

I know that you will need to start with Hospice, and I feel sure your doctor, or your local hospital can offer suggestions. Your needs will be different from mine since we were in a terminal situation, and yours may be different.  But if your experience is like mine, you will be eternally grateful to the people you meet through Hospice. For me, they are some of life's Angels.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hospice care for Mom

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry.

It seems her body is shutting down, hospice generally means there is no treatment available, just make her comfortable, clean and pain-free.

Hospice provides services & supplies generally not provided in a regular type of insurance policy.  Ask the social worker at the hospital help you choose the right hospice.     The hospice will evaluate your mom & make sure you have all the supplies you need.    They will probably send someone to bath her for you..  They will be available 24/7 for questions or care.   They will be a blessing to both your mom & you.

The hospice will assist you in this transition.    

We all think we have more time.    Again, so sorry for you & your family.

@Debzzz