Frequent Contributor

Hip replacement surgery....question..

I had my hip replaced one month ago & have been feeling wonderful. Then a week ago, I began experiencing pain like a pulled muscle in the operated leg. I have an appt. next week, but I am wondering if this pain is normal after feeling so good. I have been doing stretching exercises which help for a few minutes & then when I try to walk straight, the pain returns. Grrrr.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hip replacement surgery....question..

Best I can do is suggest talking with someone on the medical staff of the doctor that did your surgery. Having a friend that specializes in this type of surgery, I know him well enough to tell you this. He would only be able to give you a "general answer" until he saw you to know exactly what the problem might be.

Anything I could say here about the cause would be nothing but speculation, and that is not something I do for anyone that has had a surgical procedure. I can say that many times, for a sore muscle if that is the cause, heat/massage and stretching many times will help.

Others that have had this surgery can suggest things I am sure, but I know if I had the problem, I would talk with someone on the medical staff until you see, or can talk with the doctor.

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

John, you're right. My husband keeps telling me to call the Dr. I have an appt. next wk. so I figured I'd wait & talk to him in person. I will put heat on it though....that will feel good.

Respected Contributor

On 12/11/2014 conniebird said:

John, you're right. My husband keeps telling me to call the Dr. I have an appt. next wk. so I figured I'd wait & talk to him in person. I will put heat on it though....that will feel good.

Follow your husband's advice and call the doctor's office and ask them about the pain. I really don't see the point in suffering and worrying for a whole week. Your pain could be a normal part of the healing process or it could be something else. The doc might move your appointment up.

Contributor

Hi. It is a good idea to talk to your doctor, but in the meantime don't panic. I had a hip replacement some years ago, and experienced pain from time to time afterward. Most commonly it is the muscles, tendons, etc. adjusting. Just be careful of the cautions regarding not bending over, etc. After you are completely healed, you won't have to be so careful, but you want your new hip to get well positioned. Life will get much better - Mike Ditka played NFL football after hip replacements, I'm told. Not that I'm recommending it!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

You haven't been inadvertently "crossing" your leg, have you?

In Sunny AZ
Trusted Contributor

Calling and talking with your orthopedic surgeon is the first thing to do. It could be many different things. Be safe and respect and protect that new joint.

Remember, you added about 4 lbs of weight to that one joint. Muscles have to heal from being stretched and reattached. You could have overworked it or assumed a temporarily "forbidden" position for a moment.

I had a THR a few years ago when my hip was very destroyed. There are many weeks of restricted movement. The body sees that joint as being "assaulted" and must take time to heal it. I hope you follow the doctor's instructions exactly, day and night. Make sure you raise that leg to allow lymph and blood to flow through the joint. You can't rush healing.

Frequent Contributor

Update::: have been doing some stretching exercises & using heat afterwards....made a huge difference. Spoke w/someone at Concord Ortho. & was told that what I'm experiencing is normal. I feel better today after doing some stretching things. My appt. has been moved up, so I'll be relieved when the surgeon talks w/me. Thanks to all who responded....I appreciate it. :-)

Respected Contributor

Oh that's great to hear conniebird!
Regular Contributor

Hi there,

This year I have had 2 total hip replacements. One in May and the other in October. I still do at least one hour of my exercises each AM and more in the afternoon. I am loving my new hips and I use ice after I exercise or have pain. I think that heat doesn't work as well. I still use a cane and have trouble with stairs, going down. But so worth it as I was wheelchair bound prior to May. If your pain is problematic you need to talk with your surgeon, I have not had that with either of my two. Good luck and God bless!!