Honored Contributor

Re: High Cholesterol - How to eat, etc.

On 8/24/2014 Campion said:

Be warned that Red Yeast Rice is the same chemical compound in statins, and you could actually get a bigger dose of statin than you think. There is no evidence red yeast rice eliminates the effect on muscles.

We take RYR AS statins, and that's why we take CO Q10.
Trusted Contributor

On 8/22/2014 chrystaltree said:

I cannot and will not believe that your doc told you that you have a cholesterol problem and advised a low cholesterol diet and then did not give you any guidance or refer you to a nutritionist. Sorry, I'm not falling for that.

I don't know about that. When my doctor called earlier this year to tell me I had high cholesterol, he didn't tell me squat about what to do. Just said I might want to check out the American Heart Association website and we'd check it again in 4 months.

I have since changed primary care physicians and I am also being treated by a cardiologist.

No advice for the OP except use common sense about your diet. I couldn't take statins. I tried two and they both caused me severe leg pain, so my cardiologist told me to work on my cholesterol through diet and exercise.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Cut sweets,white bread, pasta. Walk a lot and take good amount of good fish oil and turmeric supplements.
Valued Contributor

When I turned 40 my doctor did a complete workup. My cholesterol and triglycerides were high. I was determined not to take a pill, so he told me to watch the fat in my diet and to exercise for three months. This was in May, I did as I was told and three months later in August, he rechecked everything and he said that he could tell that I was trying because my triglycerides came down hundreds of points, but my cholesterol went up. He said that my liver just makes too much cholesterol. So on the Lipitor I went. I don't even take it every day but my blood work has been good ever since.