Trusted Contributor

Re: High Cholesterol - How to eat, etc.

Not only do you need to change your diet, but you must get exercise. Diet alone will not not always do it. I would do whatever is possible to stay off Statin drugs. They are linked to Type 2 diabetes and pancreatic cancer both of which your doctor will NEVER tell you (among other things).
Honored Contributor

Since I began my eating plan- no added sugar or salt, no grain, no dairy- my cholesterol levels have normalized. With my dr's approval I take 2 Rd Yeast Rice and 200mg. Co Q 10 every night. I eat one egg most days, and also 1/2 cup or so of nuts. Seems to me the theories about certain foods kind of come and go, and I don't know what's "in" right now, but my eating plan seems to support my overall good health.
Honored Contributor

I appreciate all your very interesting and informative replies!

I do not know what I am going to do. I am trying to modify my diet and eat better than I did. I know that sweets - baked goods -- are not good. So, I am going to try really hard on this area.

As for exercising, I know this is very important and helps, but I have been unable to exercise for almost a year because of severe tendonitis in my achilles area. I used to do a lot of walking and I think this is probably what kept my cholesterol to a more moderate level. I have also been suffering with a back problem which I have been treating for.

I do miss the walks as it not only helps in so many physical ways, but it is so therapeutic to your mental state.

I started doing some reading on-line about cholesterol and am trying to figure all of this out.

It is very supportive to read everything here and I am taking it all in. You all are most kind to take the time to reply.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

AngelPuppy, is it possible for you to speak with a nutritionist? That would be a good way for you to get some information and an eating plan targeted to you personally. Also, look for Stoneyfield brand frozen yogurt. They make a variety of low-fat/nonfat frozen yogurt that is delicious...better than ice cream, imo. My favorite is Dulce de Leche (caramel), and also mint chocolate chip. It might help if you have a sweet tooth. You could have a little of that once in awhile and you wouldn't feel like you were depriving yourself too much. Also, what about getting help with an exercise plan from a physical therapist? I understand exactly what you mean about walking. If it's hard or impossible to do.now, there still can be another exercise plan that can accommodate your injury. Most of all, you need support in this, and seeking out some people to help and guide you will really help. Sending you best wishes for success!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much! Your kind words mean a lot. I have an appt. with another dr. this week and I am going to ask him and see if he has any suggestions for me!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I can't take the statins--I get a reaction inherited from Dad. It's bad (muscle problem)

So I had to eat differently. I ended up with a modified veg. diet (I eat lean chicken and turkey) and it did lower my cholesterol esp the bad type to an acceptable level.

I used a couple of cookbooks. One is the Engine 2 Diet, which was written by firemen for firehouse cooking that is hearty but helped them lose weight and keep fit. It is a diet that a friend was recommended after a severe bypass. It works.

The best one may be The Ultimate Cholesterol Solution. These really do work if you follow them. I've had great results on cholesterol and blood pressure, neither of which I can take the pills --too many side effects (I was in bed 2 weeks after a blood pressure pill! I don't tolerate a lot of medicines very well. )

Honored Contributor

THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE ( BUT-). The reason my doctor has me take Co q 10 with Red Yeast Rice is to reduce/eliminate the negative impact on muscles. DH had problems with muscle pain before adding CO Q 10, and now takes RYR, as I do, WITH it, and no more pain and also very respectable cholesterol numbers.
Respected Contributor

Be warned that Red Yeast Rice is the same chemical compound in statins, and you could actually get a bigger dose of statin than you think. There is no evidence red yeast rice eliminates the effect on muscles.

Super Contributor

Steel cut oats. We love the Irish McCann's brand available on Amazon.

Super Contributor

Put it too him plain and simple. If he wants you around longer, he must make healthier food choices for your dinners. You can't both eat just what he wants. Also try Garlic supplements and don't eat anything over say 5 grams of fat on the packaging.