Honored Contributor

If you go to the American heart association website  you will see that high BP does not have any symptoms unless you are in a hypertensive crisis - in which case you would be admitted to an intensive care unit on continous monitoring and given IV drugs to lower it.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@151949 wrote:

It is very unusual for a person to have symptoms with high BP. 

That is why I thought they called it the silent killer. 1/3 of people who have high BP don't know they even have it.

However, I think if you have dangerously, life-threatening high bp, you may have symptoms such as fatigue, headache, confusion.  

yes and if your BP is that high you will be admitted to ICU - not sent home with a Rx for BP meds.

Esteemed Contributor

Sidsmom.......I was looking up some past Topics and I thought you

posted some helpful information. I've been having some high

readings on the top number. I try eating healthy but I now see

I need to work on doing better. Starting with cutting back on

the amount of coffee I drink everyday. I thought  H B P  was due

to Genetics, Weight or Unhealthy Eating. Having a few family

members with H B P, I figured it was in my genetics. I never had

a weight problem. I try to practice healthy eating . I do have stress !

I do have a doctors appointment coming up and will dicuss it with

him.

Super Contributor

Many years ago high blood pressure kept me out of the military.

From time to time while at a pharmacy I stick my arm in one of those self checking machines.

My readings are always close to the better keep an eye on this.

I have always been active, I think that helps. I take NO meds, never have.

I can tell when my sodium(SALT) levels get out of control.

I think I was born with high blood pressure.

I eat for the most part, very healthy, but, I do cheat from time to time

The sodium is hidden in all packaged food.

Sugar(sodas) are a no no for me..

I believe if you have a certain personality type, it can also make things worse.

What do I know???  LOL

Last time I saw a doctor.........1973    :-)

good luck !

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

Re: High Blood Pressure

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

Sidsmom.......I was looking up some past Topics and I thought you

posted some helpful information. I've been having some high

readings on the top number. I try eating healthy but I now see

I need to work on doing better. Starting with cutting back on

the amount of coffee I drink everyday. I thought  H B P  was due

to Genetics, Weight or Unhealthy Eating. Having a few family

members with H B P, I figured it was in my genetics. I never had

a weight problem. I try to practice healthy eating . I do have stress !

I do have a doctors appointment coming up and will dicuss it with

him.

@MorningLover

Thanks for the 'shout out'!

Hypertension is VERY responsive to the correct diet.

Reason being Genetics?  No so much.   There's a popular saying,

'Genetics loads the gun.  Diet pulls the trigger'. 

As for sodium?

Think about how we consume sodium.

Processed foods & 'And' foods...sodium and fat (cheese, cooked meats, deviled eggs), sodium and sugar (breakfast cereals, desserts, milk).

It's really not the sodium.

It's the 'And' associated foods which are the issue.

Especially the fat.  Fat slooooooows everything down in the arterial system, so the blood has to push harder...causing HBP.  Remove the fat & changes will happen.

Hopefully your doctor will want to explore natural options before medication, but it's beneficial for them to prescribe a lifetime supply of Meds, so he/she might not be responsive to diet changes.

Coffee?  Definitely that's gaining attention for the cause of some.

I've read if you drink coffee this morning, high readings could remain for 2-3 days later...so patience & consistency is needed for this to work.  Hibiscus tea is a nice substitute with lots of benefits.

Here's a written testimony (McDougall Diet) where the gentleman was very slender but still had blood pressure issues...and how he cured it with the correct diet.   Hope this helps...and inspires!!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-written/scott-haas/

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

Thanks again for all you help.  I did freak out as I could not understand how this happened.  Done masses of blood work this a.m. Then next week MRI.  My old Dr. Just retired snd this new one is very thorough.  I am going to ask him about the Hibiscus tea too and as suggested try to lose a few pounds.  About 8 years ago when we arrived in U.S. From Spain I had a mini stroke - Drs. Did not diagnose it for 6 weeks  - I was going back and forth as I was falling all over the place -  then I went to my optician as I was having double vision - and he diagnosed my mini stroke - so that is why I freaked do not want to go through that again.

@dulwich

It is beyond interesting that your stroke was not diagnosed for 6 weeks.  Did you see your physician about "falling all over the place"  and experiencing "double vision?" If that were occurring to me, I would have made a dash for the ER or Urgent Care.  These are both indicative of issue(s) in the central nervous system, which includes the brain.

It is possible that an incident of hypertention caused your stroke.

I recall that at work one day my head started to feel funny.  I asked one of the nurses working on my floor to get me a wheel chair and get me to the ER.  Yup, out of the blue I had hypertension: 195/119 was the readng in the ER.  I was placed on a drug, which we changed over to Lisinopril, which worked great.  Just as suddenly, last September during my daily monitoring of my BP,  I noticed it nose-diving.  After 2 weeks of that,  was taken off Lisinopril and am good to go at present, but expect that to change at any time, as I have kidney issues.  (I also have sodium at the lowest poissible level within normal range).

The best of luck to you.  Please do pay attention to the signals your body sends to you.

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to post this tip one more time- 

I do everything possible to control my BP and blood sugar.

Besides eating a low sodium food pattern (to me, the word DIET is a dirty word), leafy green veggies and rainbow veggies, nuts, eggs/egg whites, lowest sodium possible, green apples, dark colored berries, pink grapefruit, I also drink at least one cip of zinger tea or other hibiscus tea every day.

If I happen to have neglected the hibiscus tea, my BP,  normally 100/65 will go up to 109/ over 65.

Reintroducing hibiscus tea sends my higher number right back down to 100.

Obviously your results may vary, but I'm pretty sure it DOES work for me

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@151949 wrote:

It is very unusual for a person to have symptoms with high BP. 

That is why I thought they called it the silent killer. 1/3 of people who have high BP don't know they even have it.

However, I think if you have dangerously, life-threatening high bp, you may have symptoms such as fatigue, headache, confusion.  

yes and if your BP is that high you will be admitted to ICU - not sent home with a Rx for BP meds.

this is not true.  You may be sent to emergency or you dr. may give to meds in the office and have you wait and recheck. But, admitted to the Intensive Care Unit right off the bat? No.

Esteemed Contributor

OP- limit or cut processed foods, even the seemingly healthy looking ones. Bump up the potassium-bananas, fish, avocados and dark leafy greens oranges.

Walking about 35 mins a day.  That will help.

Super Contributor

'Genetics loads the gun.  Diet pulls the trigger'. 

good info posted above !!!!

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK