Respected Contributor

Help me understand this!

[ Edited ]

I work with two women who are both of poor health they are amazingly similar in age, symptoms, and issues. They both have rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia and the one has lupus.

I finally talked the one into going to work with my dietitian who helped me so much and it's about four months later and she's doing great. We are all so happy for her she is sleeping better, has less pain, more energy, looking better, and her doctors are thrilled - she is even on less medicine.  The other woman was astounded with our co-workers improvements so she went to see the same dietitian.

The day after her appointment we asked her how did it go and she replied it was a great appointment and she learned a lot but she doesn't think she's going to follow the advice or the diet given to her as there are too many foods on it that she doesn't want to give up!

I was speechless.

Our co-worker almost fell off her chair! 

I can not understand why someone so sick would be unwilling to do something so simple as change their diet if it could mean dramatic improvement in their health!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help me understand this!

[ Edited ]

It's not that uncommon. A coworker (in poor health) here said "I guess I'm not sick enough" to want to do an elimination diet.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Maybe she likes the sympathy - some people are attention getters - whine, whine, whine - I've known people like this.  Truly, I think she enjoys the attention. 

Honored Contributor

I agree. Some people seem to be satisfied with making poor choices for themselves, and also underestimating the strength that is within them to make better choices.

It is shocking to me to consider how much more difficult my life was before my life changing event, and how frequently I said to others, and to myself, that I couldn't do anything about my situaion.

So graifying to have proven to myself that I COULD, and DID change!

Honored Contributor

I don't find it so surprising that one woman decided not to follow the dietician's advice.  I think food can be as much an addiction as alcohol is.  No, it doesn't have the same range of negative affects as alcohol (or tobacco), but that doesn't mean there are not addictions involved - maybe to specific foods, maybe to certain eating habits. etc.

Why one person accepts and another denies a chance to feel better  -  I don't really know; I'm just not surprised.

Regular Contributor

Food can be very addicting and hard to give up.  Just like a person with terrible lung disease who still smokes.   The cravings for sweets and carbs (and other foods) can be extremely strong and extremely hard to even imagine giving up- even if it means better health.  

Valued Contributor

Why try to understand it? There is a old saying ''you can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him drink it'. That means you gave her the guidance to change or you lead her in the direction for change. If she chooses not to take the advise given to her,that's not your fault, it hers. You have to want to change, as her health issues continues to go down hill, maybe she will see the light, so to speak.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Her life, her body, her choice. It is not up to any of us to judge what another decides to do given that they have the information needed to make an informed choice. We all make decisions and choices that others find questionable or do not agree with. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

For me, it has always been a battle between two attitudes. Do I want to live a lifestyle that is as healthy as possible that includes all of the recommendations about food, exercise, etc.... ? Or do I live for the pleasure of the moment? As an older person with much more of my life already behind me, do I indulge in what makes me happy? I do not want to be at the end of the road regretting that I had been too restrictive and wish that I did have that ice cream when I had told myself that I better not. For me its about balance, finding a happy medium. But I really can and do understand a person that may not want to heed advice, no matter how well intentioned, and just live the way that they want to.
Esteemed Contributor

How restrictive is the new diet?

It is all about choices.  We have all seen people with lung cancer smoking a cigarette.