Respected Contributor

Re: Help me understand this!

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Maybe she likes the sympathy - some people are attention getters - whine, whine, whine - I've known people like this.  Truly, I think she enjoys the attention. 

I think you are on to something.

We have noticed that now when she cries about the terrible side effects or the high $$ of her meds and people suggest maybe if you follow the diet like "Abby" you can reduce your meds too.

Or 

When she cries about her pain, or is too tired to do anything, needs to go home early and people again suggest doing something to improve the quality of her life (now that people see the transformation of Abby) that her life doe not have to be this bad

She fumes!

I guess she is looking for sympathy not help and support to feel better.

It is such a shame for a girl in her young 30's to chose to not try something that could help her.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I work with two women who are both of poor health they are amazingly similar in age, symptoms, and issues. They both have rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia and the one has lupus.

I finally talked the one into going to work with my dietitian who helped me so much and it's about four months later and she's doing great. We are all so happy for her she is sleeping better, has less pain, more energy, looking better, and her doctors are thrilled - she is even on less medicine.  The other woman was astounded with our co-workers improvements so she went to see the same dietitian.

The day after her appointment we asked her how did it go and she replied it was a great appointment and she learned a lot but she doesn't think she's going to follow the advice or the diet given to her as there are too many foods on it that she doesn't want to give up!

I was speechless.

Our co-worker almost fell off her chair! 

I can not understand why someone so sick would be unwilling to do something so simple as change their diet if it could mean dramatic improvement in their health!!!

@Abrowneyegirl

It's shocking, but not surprising .... and maybe it's been such a long time since she felt fine that she doesn't even remember how good she could feel ...

I think it's also possible that she is so worn down by sickness and pain that she wouldn't be able to muster the energy to do something ambitious .... even if it might produce great results.  

If this is an ongoing conversation, perhaps you could suggest she make some of these changes in "baby steps".   Maybe she'd feel less overwhelmed that way?

Super Contributor

Not every diet, pill, medication works for everyone. Chronic pain is debilitating...... Walk a mile in her shoes before you criticize.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't even begin to imagine what diet would get rid of lupus, RA, fibrfomyalgia and some undisclosed additional autoimmune disease. (lupus is an autoimmune disease.) I can't comprehend what effect diets have on these disorders, other than weight loss if the person is heavy.

Respected Contributor

I must agree with 159.. I have a severe form of rheumatoid disease and over the years I have tried, low acid, gluten free, paleo, vegan and none made a difference in my pain level. Each person is different..and Ichoose a med cocktail that usually works. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have two dear friends that I see weekly at our service club meeting over lunch. They both have significant problems and eat the worst stuff on the buffet, while I always fill my plate from the salad bar. I have discussed things at length with them, but have given up hoping they will change. I love them anyway. They want to be healthier but are unwilling to give up their addictions, which I definitely understand. What people in the throes of food addiction don't understand is that those food cravings go away fairly quickly  when your body gets good food and starts craving the good instead. It is so true about leading a horse to water. When people decide they are ready for a new and healthy paradigm for their lives, they will make that choice. And not before.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Because what's simple for some isn't simple for others.

What I don't understand is people who want to manage the lives of others. Maybe you could explain that for me.

Honored Contributor

If everyone followed their doctor's orders, and did what they knew they should do, we would probably have a healthier society, but that is not the case.  We all do exactly what we want to do. While some people may not understand the choices of others, it really is not our business.  Some people feel they need to justify their decisions because they know others will be critical of them. None of us truly know what someone else may be dealing with in making decisions.  I try to be supportive of people who are going through medical issues even if I don't agree with their choices.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I work with two women who are both of poor health they are amazingly similar in age, symptoms, and issues. They both have rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia and the one has lupus.

I finally talked the one into going to work with my dietitian who helped me so much and it's about four months later and she's doing great. We are all so happy for her she is sleeping better, has less pain, more energy, looking better, and her doctors are thrilled - she is even on less medicine.  The other woman was astounded with our co-workers improvements so she went to see the same dietitian.

The day after her appointment we asked her how did it go and she replied it was a great appointment and she learned a lot but she doesn't think she's going to follow the advice or the diet given to her as there are too many foods on it that she doesn't want to give up!

I was speechless.

I can not understand why someone so sick would be unwilling to do something so simple as change their diet if it could mean dramatic improvement in their health!!!

I think it speaks to the addictive nature of some of the food we eat. Amazing that anyone would give up their health to eat but it happens all the time. Our population is more than half either overweight or obese. If it was so easy to give up different foods, then we would be a nation of fit and healthy individuals.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was speechless.

As a Diabetic.... I can say that I believe it's because she just can't and she knows it. It's not easy to change the habits of a lifetime and especially give up the foods that you love, even when you have to.

When I started this Diabetic journey I first gave up all sugars and simple carbs and counted all complex carbs.  I lost 35lbs and dropped my AICs from 12 to 6.3.  The next part of this journey told me that my cholesterol was too high, so I've had to give up many, many items I depended on to help me with the sugar aspect of it.  THAT's actually been the hardest part!  The sugar/carb thing I mastered and am ok with.  Giving up real eggs, most cheeze, beef, etc. etc. has been the hardest but I'm managing.  

I've had to change my entre outlook regarding food and it.is.not.easy~!  But I'd rather feel good and do the things I want to than eat what I want!

And btw, I, too have an autoimmune disease (Pulmonary Sarcoidosis which is (thankfully) in total remission.

Good luck to anyone having to change a lifetime of habits~!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*