Super Contributor
I am in dire need of your help! My husband is a HUGE New Orleans Saints fan. We are going to visit our daughter in Tampa for Christmas. The Saints will be playing Tampa Bay next Sunday. So as a Christmas surprise yesterday I bought him tickets to this game. I bought them yesterday morning BEFORE the Saints lost their game to the Falcons which means the Saints will not be in the playoffs. So now I have these tickets which were not cheap.....1st section....40 yard line.....13 rows back. My question is.....will the Saints even let any of their big name, first string players (mostly worried about Drew Brees) play on Sunday? The game means nothing to either team so would they risk injuring Brees or would they put the 2nd string QB in? I feel so sick about this. I was just trying to do a nice thing for my incredible husband.
Honored Contributor

I would expect Drew to start the game and get a lot of playing time. But because Tampa is not a playoff team either, they might let his backup play in the second half. I don't think they are too worried about him getting injured since they're not going to the playoffs.

Super Contributor
Thank you for your reply. That makes me feel better.
Honored Contributor

Keeping Drew Brees off the field is a bigger challenge. He loves to play and would probably play every quarter even in exhibition games if he had his way. I expect to see him start and play the whole game. There is talk that New Orleans is looking to draft a kid to replace Drew Brees, so if your husband wants to see him play, this may be one of his last chances. To move way up in the draft to get a guy capable of replacing Brees (Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston) they'd have to package a lot of draft picks and/or players (likely including Drew Brees) to get up that high.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

First, let's get real here. Drew Brees is not ready to retire and I don't see that the Saints are anxious to replace him. If there is a good young quarterback prospect out there, why not get one in the draft. Anything can happen and Brees could easily end up injured., given the pitiful performance of the Offensive Line. But for now and for the foreseeable future, DB is our QB.

Why has he appeared ineffective? Because the inefficient and ineffective Offensive Line is totally to blame for his inability to play well. He is getting something like 7 seconds to release the ball. Look at the number of sacks he suffered in the Falcon game. In no way his fault - it's the worthless Offensive Line that is supposed to be protecting him and giving him time to pass. Ask any of the Sports Casters in the N.O. area. (And BTW, #80 needs to return a large portion of his embarrassingly high salary.)

Then there's the defense. Possibly even worse than the Offensive line. We needed a new D.Coordinator like 10 games ago. He needs a replacement and a haircut. And the defense needs a lot of new personnel.

You will see Drew Brees in the game next weekend. The Saints (formerly and currently called the Aint's) have to do something significant to bring back their fan base. It's been shrinking steadily since this season began.

Super Contributor
First of all a big THANK YOU to all of you that took the time to respond. You have made me feel so much better about this. I know it seems silly but I just want my husband to be able to see Drew play. My husband (of 32 yrs.) asks for nothing. He doesn't ever spend a dime on himself. He never has. He's always been a great provider and father to our now grown daughter. In fact he wanted to buy me a Michael Kors purse for Christmas. He knows I love MK purses and he wanted me to pick out one I like for my Christmas present. Well I got to thinking about it and decided I just could not pay that amount of money on a purse. Then a couple of days ago he and his older brother were reminiscing and talked about how when they were young there were many times they had no Christmas presents or birthday presents because their parents were so poor. Well that just broke my heart and I really wanted to do something special for him for Christmas. So I took the Michael Kors purse money and bought him the Saints tickets. Again.....thank you so much and I hope each of you have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or just a Happy Thursday.....whatever you do or do not celebrate.
Super Contributor
English, that is such a sweet story, I'm sure your husband will be thrilled!
Valued Contributor
English, you are so sweet! I am a huge football fan and I know your husband is going to be just thrilled! This is just like the O. Henry Christmas story! Will be rooting for Brees and the Saints and that you all have a great time!
Valued Contributor
Forgot to say, sending you a big hug, Merry Christmas!
Honored Contributor

It looks like you have nothing to worry about. Sean Payton, the Saints' coach, said Sunday's game will be played like any other - they'll play their starters and play to win. Here's the story from ESPN:

Saints-Buccaneers game

I hope you have a wonderful time! Smile