Honored Contributor

Just wanted to thank each of you for your  answers. I did put a call into my doctor as you suggested.   The recording suggests you call and leave a message "if it is urgent"....then it tells you "if it is an emergency go to the emergency room"????

I didn't think it urgent enough to do either, I guess. I finally just left a message on the urgent call line as that is the only way it could be done.  Hopefully, they will get back with me in a timely manner.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2

That was an interesting article.  I see Carvedilol is a little better at lowering  BP.  Mine was a little high on my last visit and although I have "white coat syndrome", I do remember telling him I still get readings with that bottom number in the mid 90's.  I'll bet that's why he changed it.  Thanks for the article.  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

Some of you know that I had a quadruple by-pass a few months ago.  I have been on Metoprolol since my surgery.  My cardiologists recently (about a week ago) took me off of that and put me on Carvedilol.  I have felt very tired recently and my pulse rate the last few days has been around 53.  This morning it was down to 50.  I am thinking since they just switched medications this might be normal.  I will probably call my cardiologist tomorrow if it goes any lower.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How low is considered a safe range?

@jubilant, after 2 heart attacks and 5 stents and a balloon angioplasty,  I was put on Lopressor/Metropropol. My pulse is always around 50 and I am tired most of the time. I complained about it to my doctor and he claimed he wants it low ...less strain on the heart. I asked about the Carvedilol but it cannot be given with Verapamil so he declined it. It is a newer beta blocker and stronger (his words) and he still prefers the lopressor anyway.

Since medicine is individualized, this may be different for you. 

My husband always has a resting pulse of around 50 because he exercises strenulously most days. I know that athletes in training even have a pulse in the high 40's. I remember hckynut John, mentioning how low his own pulse is and he has had two heart attacks himself.

Of course everything here is anecdotal and may not be in any way helpful for your own medical needs. However, I do know that my pulse is always around 50... before the lopressor, it was generally quite high. Apparently, the medical community claim it makes less work for the heart muscle to pump.

I read that your ejection fraction must have gotten up to normal! That is wonderful news. I ended up in heart failure after my first heart attack and it took almost a year to get up to a 50 ejection fraction and out of heart failure. So you are really doing well!!

Hope tomorrow you can have your fears relieved about the 50. I do understand and I haven't had a bypass how difficult all of this can be. One day you are fine and the next?

My best to you and keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

Thank you for your encouraging post.  Normally my pulse rate is somewhere between 62-72.  DH did tell me that some of the guys at the Y had them as low as in the 40's.  I knew they exercised more that me.  I'm only doing 4-5 days a week on my treadmill for about 25 minutes.  It is a relief to know my heart is pumping normally now after only 5 1/2 months and that someone thinks that is good progress!  That made me feel better.... (smile)  

I hope you continue to do well.  It is true what you say about it being an up and down experience.  One never knows what tomorrow will be like with this stuff.  I guess we just take it one day at a time.

Honored Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

@Trinity11

Thank you for your encouraging post.  Normally my pulse rate is somewhere between 62-72.  DH did tell me that some of the guys at the Y had them as low as in the 40's.  I knew they exercised more that me.  I'm only doing 4-5 days a week on my treadmill for about 25 minutes.  It is a relief to know my heart is pumping normally now after only 5 1/2 months and that someone thinks that is good progress!  That made me feel better.... (smile)  

I hope you continue to do well.  It is true what you say about it being an up and down experience.  One never knows what tomorrow will be like with this stuff.  I guess we just take it one day at a time.

@jubilant...keep us posted. I think 25 minutes on the treadmill is amazing!! I can barely walk around anymore at the mall which I used to be able to do easily. The rehab that I was supposed to go to was an hour from home, so two hours on the road wasn't doable for me. I do wish I had had the opportunity for it. I think exercise is very important in our recovery.

Once again, good luck. You are an inspiration for me. I have often read your upbeat posts about your recovery and felt really good afterwards. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Hello @jubilant

This is my personal dealings with meds and heart attacks, not meant for advice to anyone.

My Cardiologist put me on Lopressor(Metoprolol) after my 1st heart attack in 2003. I had never had a high BP in all my adult life, but he wanted me to keep it as low as I could, and still be able to function at levels normal for my type of activities, active.

Started me at 25mg twice per day. My BP was running about 90/60, which is alright for me. The Diastolic gradually started dropping into the low 50's, and that is when it starts to effect my movements, and how I feel.

He cut my dose down to 12.5mg twice per day, and that is what I took until about 8-9 months ago. I then told him I wanted to try going off all BP meds and felt my BP would still be lower than what is considered "normal". I wanted to cut back my med numbers and felt I could do without this one. I also wanted to buy a Teeter Inversion Table, and it is not wise to Invert 90° when on BP Meds.

Since I had stayed at a high physical fitness level much of my adult life, my Heart Rate always ran in the 40's, even in the 30's when taken prior to getting out of bed. Most seasoned athletes have a lower Heart Rate than non-athletic individuals.

Now the Metoprolol does effect the pulse rate. Without it my HR when working out was around 135-140 beats per minute(bpm), on Metoprolol at that same level of exercise effort, my HR was only 115-120bpm. All because of Metoprolol, I had to relearn my Aerobic/Anaerobic Threshold numbers. That has been my method of knowing my body's intensity level of effort for decades.

It took me a long time to understand and somehow correlate my Pre-Metoprolol levels to my levels while taking it. My resting heart rate was low, but it had always been low because of my fitness levels. Even at my lowest fitness level, while on Metoprolol, it was in the Mid to High 40's in bpm. 

I am now as fit as I was long before my 2 Heart Attacks(1st one with Aspiration Pneumonia)/2 episodes of PE(Lung Blood Clots), and my many other battles with serious illnesses. Off Metoprolol my Heart Rate now is always in the 40's when resting, and my Maximum Heart Rate when ice skating(doing short distance high speed intervals) is 150-155bpm. My easy skating HR(Aerobic) is about 125bpm. I always wear my Heart Rate Monitor when doing any type of exercise, and I have for well over 30 years.

What is a safe range? That has to be decided by your Cardiologist and he/she will have to base some of that on your Physical Fitness Level. I don't remember if you had a Heart Attack, or had your surgery because it was needed.

If you did not have a Heart Attack, your heart is probably not damaged, ask your Cardiologist. My lower heart was damaged and no longer can function at it's Pre-Heart Attack Levels. Once that part of the heart muscle died, it will never return. That is where I will be from here on out.

Somewhere in this long novel, you are able to find something that might help you, or at least you can check with your Cardiologist. I know my heart's ability by trial and error, on BP Meds and no BP meds. I have watched my Heart Rate closely for decades, so in that respect, my Cardiologist does not consider me "normal". He does however say "I wish all my patients were your type of(not normal)", when it comes to understanding their heart and how it functions.

My very best to you with this

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Heart question

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree,

I get it! A low heart rate isn't always considered "An Emergency". She is "thinking", while asking others their experiences. 

What I don't get is feeling a post, like the one I quoted, is necessary. At times it may just be better for us to say nothing.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

I really don't understand posts like this.  I just don't get it.   You should have called your cardiologist's to report these symtoms when they started.  Whar were you thinking???? Or not thinking?  Yeah, sure.  Call them tomorrow.  

Such a horrible thoughtless post. You never cease to amaze me with your nastiness. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Heart question

[ Edited ]

Thank you, John, for your post.  I am glad you posted!  I need all the help I can get.  My heart problem is totally different from DH's cardiac arrest so I am pretty green on this stuff.  I think you know me well enough by now, to know "I was thinking".  Thanks for that! I know Crystaltree probably meant well and I did appreciate her concern.

Yes, I did have a heart attack.  Then after I was admitted for that one, I was told I had another one.  I didn't feel that one.  They waited a few days before they operated. There was damage done but evidently not too much.  Mostly now I still have trouble with the leg they took the veins from to do the quadruple and some sternum pain and trying to regain some strength. 

They are concerned about the fact I can't take statins and tell me that recent studies show someone like me may do well for 5 yrs. or so year but will probably have to have heart surgery again in about 9 yrs. Yikes! My cardiologist tells me that I can exercise (and should) eat right, lose weight (which I have) and it will not be enough because I am 4 times over what they want me to be.************ I edited this to say 4 times over  what they want me to be on cholestereol levels......Not my weight. HA!!!************

There is a new medicine out that looks promising for patients like me (not a statin) but at $14,000 a year.....I DON'T THINK SO!!!!  I have decided to do what I can and leave the rest up to God.

Honored Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

Just wanted to thank each of you for your  answers. I did put a call into my doctor as you suggested.   The recording suggests you call and leave a message "if it is urgent"....then it tells you "if it is an emergency go to the emergency room"????

I didn't think it urgent enough to do either, I guess. I finally just left a message on the urgent call line as that is the only way it could be done.  Hopefully, they will get back with me in a timely manner.

Is there a covering Dr for the weekend?