Honored Contributor

Re: Health Scare I want to share

@hoosieroriginal I was going to say your doggies need you too, but I didn't want to come across as lecturing. I apologize if what I said did. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

FYI for those counting coffee, if it's caffeinated, the caffeine is a diuretic and actually pulls water out of your body. So you really need to drink water to counteract that effect.
Super Contributor

Wow thanks for this post, I am another one who needs to drink more water. I have to force myself to drink that much also. I have had several kidney stone attacks in the past and after each one I would drink more for a while then go back to old habits again. I mostly drink coffee and tea and I know this is not good. One time I had a kidney stone and went to the hospital they did an mri and said to go home take pain pills drink lots of water and wait for it to pass, they said it was big but not too big to pass. So i followed their instructions as long as I could stand it and the pain got so bad I could hardly stand it, I have had this pain before so I tryed to bare through it until I started feeling really weird, like death is the only way I can describe it, and told my husband get me to the hospital right away something is wrong. Turns out the stone got stuck in the tube that leads to your bladder and had blocked my kidney and I was going into kidney failure!!! I was so scared they layed me in bed and turned the lights to dim and told me not to move. My tubes are smaller then average and that is why it happened. Anyway emergency surgury was needed to put a stint in to open the area and allow the kidney to open, my surgeon said he had a hard time getting around the stone and was worried he would rupture the tube. I ended up having the stint in for over a month cause they had to make two attempts at crushing the stone, which meant two more times at going under. As soon as I read your post, I ran to get water!!!!! I need to set all the bottles out in the morning that I need to drink for the day and then just drink them. Anyway thanks for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

Sorry about that scare, glad you are better.

When I start to feel like someone is tightening a belt around my waist, I know that's my sign I need more water.    I try not to get that feeling.

I keep water within reach all day.    Doctors orders!

@hoosieroriginal

Super Contributor

Oh and I forgot to say one more thing, when they removed the stint I had to be awake for that and Wow the worst pain I have ever felt in my life..... And they say kidney stones are one of the top painful things you can experiece I think second to only a heartattack, well the removal had me coming up off the table let me tell you, I will never let anyone do that to me again while I am awake. I was out when it went in. Oh my and the month or so I had to keep it in I was on vicadin every day, I could not stand it any other way. then I quit the day it came out. Thank god I did not get addicted, I was afraid of that but I needed them, that stint is not fun at all. For anyone that may not know, it went from where you pee, up into the bladder and thru the tubes into the kidney and i could feel it and yes it hurt to pee and sit and lay down and walk and everything!!

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal I was going to say your doggies need you too, but I didn't want to come across as lecturing. I apologize if what I said did. 

@Greeneyedlady21 - oh no, everyone knows how much I love my doggies - thanks for the good wishes!  My girls need their mama and I need my girls.

Respected Contributor

So sorry for your scare. Hopefully things get back in order soon. 

I don't drink plain water ever. I love my iced tea maker and make decaf green tea in it and love that. I add flavored tea bags to it as well. Also I love the flavor drops for water. If not for those things I'd hardly drink anything. 

Frequent Contributor

Glad you are ok and thanks for posting.  I am having some of those same concerns and I am sooo bad at drinking water! So I will heed your warning!!!

Respected Contributor

@DarlingDino wrote:

Oh and I forgot to say one more thing, when they removed the stint I had to be awake for that and Wow the worst pain I have ever felt in my life..... And they say kidney stones are one of the top painful things you can experiece I think second to only a heartattack, well the removal had me coming up off the table let me tell you, I will never let anyone do that to me again while I am awake. I was out when it went in. Oh my and the month or so I had to keep it in I was on vicadin every day, I could not stand it any other way. then I quit the day it came out. Thank god I did not get addicted, I was afraid of that but I needed them, that stint is not fun at all. For anyone that may not know, it went from where you pee, up into the bladder and thru the tubes into the kidney and i could feel it and yes it hurt to pee and sit and lay down and walk and everything!!

@DarlingDino - so glad you knew something wasn't right and followed up on it!

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

So sorry for your scare. Hopefully things get back in order soon. 

I don't drink plain water ever. I love my iced tea maker and make decaf green tea in it and love that. I add flavored tea bags to it as well. Also I love the flavor drops for water. If not for those things I'd hardly drink anything. 

@Lali1 - I'm drinking plain water - if I even try anything caffeinated or tea or coffee decaf - it irritates my urethra and I am in pain - so everything has to be water.