Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

@151949

First off, it's now Monday and I truly hope that your husband is doing well and that the procedure went well.

Secondly, in the position from which I retired a few years ago, I worked with surgeons from 12 surgical disciplines.  Because Ortho was down for training one day and since they were my "best" customer, I decided to ask a few of the Sports Medicine docs about the upcoming Mumford and decompression procedures on left shoulder and clavicle at a surgical center. I was slated to have.  The first question out of Dr. P's mouth was, "Are you his first patient?"  When I said "Yes," he said, "Perfect.  Always take that first slot, when available."  I went on to ask him why and he said - I paraphrase: you get a fresh surgeon; there will not have been previous surgical cases go long, which lengthens your wait up to 3 hours, in some cases; your stress level will be lower [clinically good, because stress hormones are not released into the body]; whoever is with you will not suffer the anxiety of waiting as you are; the O.R. team is also fresh and ready to go, as they have not had to change out and sanitize from the last case; all instruments and instrument trays/sets are ready to go - no chance that all trays have been used and are still in central processing (for sterilization). 

Yes, you were inconvenienced.  However, there was much to be gained by being the first case and this doesn't occur often in life - we all hope.

Here's to a clinically insignificant recovery for your husband.  All the best to him and you, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

My hubby had his hip replacement at a large well know hospital in NYC, we live in the burbs and since his surgery was at 8 am, and I do not drive and transportation at 4 am could be tricky we stayed near the hospital, I was planning on staying the night of his surgery anyway.

We had the "luxury" of sleeping until 4:45 took an Uber to the hospital and best part is he was done by 10:30 and in his room at 1PM. Since his surgery was so early he had time to recover and he was able to leave the following day.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

That reminds me that at UMich there is a hotel right within the hospital called a Med Inn.  So the patient and family can have a room waiting for them whenever.  It is just like any small hotel and has good reviews.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

That reminds me that at UMich there is a hotel right within the hospital called a Med Inn.  So the patient and family can have a room waiting for them whenever.  It is just like any small hotel and has good reviews.

The Cleveland Clinic main campus has an affiliated hotel right there because they see so many patients from across the US and from out of the country.  But it's my understanding it's pretty pricey which is odd to me. 

Honored Contributor

HSS in NYC has many parnter hotels, the one across the street is over 500 a night, we dtayed at a hotel 8 blocks from the hosptial

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

The Cleveland Clinic main campus has an affiliated hotel right there because they see so many patients from across the US and from out of the country.  But it's my understanding it's pretty pricey which is odd to me. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Boy, was I ever thinking of the posters on this thread this morning!!!!!!!

I have an abdominal aortic aneursym (AAA) that my vascular surgeon is monitoring.

My surgeon is in Pittsburgh, which is a drive.  He has no problem with my testing at my local hospital.

I had a 7 am CAT scan appointment. So I jumped out of bed before the crack of dawn and arrived for my test about 20 minutes earlier.

Around 7 the rreceptionist kept looking at me; I smiled back.

Eventually, she called me over to ask me why I was so early for my test at....8:30!!!!

Also, she was concernend as to whether my insurance would cover the test.

The discrepancy was resolved when the technician who did my scan figured out that the scheduler had assumed I would drink the contrast; I have IV contrast injection.

I was out of the hospital by 7:45.  I was thinking of this thread as I was driving home.