Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

What kind of surgery is he having?

Honored Contributor

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle  He saw the surgeon 5 days ago and he wanted to do the surgery as fast as possible but had to wait 5 days because he takes a blood thinner. This was what time was available on the schedule. Honestly, I have never in all my many years ever heard of anyone telling the OR that they don't want that time and would need to be rescheduled later in the day.

Honored Contributor

Well, think about it this way.  If you wanted to eat or drink something BEFORE the surgery (if it was in the mid-morning) you'd have to get up really, really early to do it because it needs to be many hours in between.

I doubt that it would be worth it.  Also as the day goes on the surgeons and nurses get behind for various reasons making the latter times much later (no one's fault, just happens, I think).

Just this week my friend had something done in Washington, DC (VA hospital).  His appt was supposedly 8:00AM.  He got up and out at 3:30AM.  We live right outside of DC in outer Va (maybe 1 hour or so without much traffic) DC/Va and Md traffic is unbelievable!  He got to the VA (little or no traffic) at around 5:30 or so.  They grabbed something to eat and sat in car for another hour.

They sat and waited to be seen finally at 10:30AM!  And when he finally was seen he was told they couldn't examine him because he'd not had eyes dilated....All of this was for nothing!

People have no idea of some of the things these Veterans have to put up with.  We live close to other bases he could go to but they have him going miles into DC.  He's 71 years old.  This makes me sick.

My point is (unfortunately) sometimes things just happen and sometimes the "things" that happen don't need to happen.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shelbelle  He saw the surgeon 5 days ago and he wanted to do the surgery as fast as possible but had to wait 5 days because he takes a blood thinner. This was what time was available on the schedule. Honestly, I have never in all my many years ever heard of anyone telling the OR that they don't want that time and would need to be rescheduled later in the day.

I cant understand why you say you never heard of such a thing, I have heard it all the time, when I made my colonoscopy appt.  at the surgi center, they asked me what time is good for me.  If you have to have a later time, it certainly would be a good idea to try and get it.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I cant understand why you say you never heard of such a thing, I have heard it all the time, when I made my colonoscopy appt.  at the surgi center, they asked me what time is good for me.  If you have to have a later time, it certainly would be a good idea to try and get it.

Yeah, they'll reschedule you alright - for a month from now. This is a major medical hospital not a surgicenter doing 10 colonoscopies a day.

Respected Contributor

Hi 151949, just want to tell you I hope that your hubby's surgery goes well for him and you. I know that you are concerned about him the travel and the timing so I hope when he checks in to the hospital they take him on time and everything goes smooth for him. Here is hoping and praying that you two don't have to change your summer plans for coming back up here in Pa. I am east of where you stay up here but consider any thing within 25 miles as being in the neighborhood. Hoping that in 24 hours things have settled down and your on your way back home and you two can relax.  Sending caring and healing thoughts to you both take care.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hospitals always do the clean cases first. Doctors have only so much scheduled times and days in the OR. Like ortho has room # 3 and 4 on Mon day and Tues am. While general surgery department gets afternoons or such. People with infections usually go last, and they have to have space for unexpected emergencies.

I know it's early but, if something goes wrong early is good. When more resources available. Long waits being NPO is a pain. In my experience most people liked early, less time to be anxious and worry. They also have to estimate how long the various surgery will last, a long case could take up several hours in one OR. While they could remove 3 or 4 tonsils in the same amount of time. 

Esteemed Contributor

When they scheduled my colonoscopy I asked for later because I am not a morning person.  She gladly changed it for me.  She said they always schedule diabetics first because of their medicine schedule.  I was happy with 9:30 since I am 10 minutes from the hospital.  

Remember the ad on TV about the nurse that ALWAYS makes it to the client, regardless of the weather, and the client was on oxygen in an electric wheel chair?  

I have always wondered why someone with that many problems would live so far out in the country, down a dirt road that got muddy when it rained.

Hopefully, it was just for the sake of making the ad.

It is a good feeling to know that as I age, medical assistance is only 5-10 minutes away!

Respected Contributor

@151949The older we get, the closer we should live to a major medical center.  Life often becomes a matter of in and out, in and out, of the hospital and ER.  Best to live on top of a good facility.  Ideally 1-2 miles.

Valued Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My DH is having surgery up in Sarasota Monday AM . We have to be there at 5:15 AM - need 45 min to get there even that early when there is no traffic, so we'll have to leave home at 4:30 & we'll have to get up at one3:30 because DH needs to shower and shave with antibacterial soap etc. before we go. Every surgery or procedure either of us ever has is always the first AM one requiring this ridiculous wake up time. Just once I'd like to be the second case - the one who gets to sleep in til 7AM.

@151949

Not me! I want the earliest time I can get, and my wife is exactly the same, regardless of which of us is the patient. 

Then there is no "the previous procedure(s)/surgery(s) were longer than expected" given for your time being an hour or more behind schedule.

Lack of sleep? Who cares, not me or my wife. We are both retired and can sleep any time we choose. The lady that works the Procedure Center, for all Outpatient Procedures at our hospital, is a good friend of mine. Her son played in my hockey league and she is a big hockey fan.She says most patients she sees come in wish they could have gotten an earlier time, especially the person doing the waiting, not the patient.

No empathy from this oft "been there, done that" patient and the one in the waiting area. Go to bed earlier or schedule the "whatever", later in the day. Doctors do more than 1 procedure(maybe not yours), but most do not go to a Surgical Center or hospital Surgical Room for 1 patient.

hckynut(john)

you took the words right out of my mouth, John, my husband and I  have both had very early "wake-up" calls for surgery..my early one was bumped to #3, because my pre-op nurse couldn't start my IV...see I have feeling & I'm a (happily) retired nurse 😊

Not everyone can have the luxury of sleeping in everyday!