Valued Contributor

Has anyone had Parathyroid Surgery?

Any after effects?..I'm really scared about the surgery.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had Parathyroid Surgery?

Hi. I know that any surgery is scary, but don't be too worried. My mom had it done & snapped right back, & she was in her 90s.

You'll be OK. 

Good luck!

Muddling through...
Occasional Contributor

I had the surgery last summer. The surgery went very well. I was in the hospital for about 6 hours total, and felt fine after just a few days at home.My surgeon managed to really do a good job of hiding the scar, and now, just seven months later, it is barely visible.

The biggest problem I had was that I couldn't bend down for several weeks afterwards. It was especially difficult since I live alone. I would advise getting a long-handled grabber to help you.

Valued Contributor

My mother had this surgery about 15 yrs ago. As stated by others in response --she was nervous but she came thru rather quickly and it helped in a few other health issues she was having at the time. She was out of the hospital the day after. 

Super Contributor

My Endocrinologist recently recommended I consider this surgery. I'm dragging my feet a bit because I've had so many surgeries and procedures and I'm just not keen on going thru another. Mine is recommended due to osteoporosis likely caused by an overactive parathyroid. Is that why they are suggesting you have it?  One of my concerns is whether they will correctly identify which of the 3 parathyroid glands is the problem.  However, for me it may come down to the risk of more bone loss and possible broken hip if I fall or having the surgery. I know it's a minor operation compared to some major ones I've had, but at 73 I just want a break from what seems like a constant barrage of medical issues. 

Frequent Contributor

I had the surgery and did fine.  I stayed in Vanderbilt overnight and felt great when I left.  My surgeon said he removed the problem I was having which was 300 times the size it should have been (that scared me), until he clarified that the original size was the size of a  grain of rice. He left my remaining parathyroid intact since it was healthy.  Good luck. I think you will be happy you had the surgery since it can prevent other health issues. 

Valued Contributor

@Jo1313 @Had 1 parathyroid gland removed 2005. Easy surgery and recovery. Went to son's oollege orientation the following week with a band-aid on neck.

No noticeable scar now.

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

My duaghter had it done in August at Mayo....no problems.  She's had a kidney transplant and evidently it's not uncommon for transplant patients to require the removal of abnormal glands.  She had 2 of 4 removed. Out of the hospital the next day and scar is barely noticeable now.

Regular Contributor

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

My Endocrinologist recently recommended I consider this surgery. I'm dragging my feet a bit because I've had so many surgeries and procedures and I'm just not keen on going thru another. Mine is recommended due to osteoporosis likely caused by an overactive parathyroid. Is that why they are suggesting you have it? 

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

My Endocrinologist recently recommended I consider this surgery. I'm dragging my feet a bit because I've had so many surgeries and procedures and I'm just not keen on going thru another. Mine is recommended due to osteoporosis likely caused by an overactive parathyroid. Is that why they are suggesting you have it?  One of my concerns is whether they will correctly identify which of the 3 parathyroid glands is the problem.  However, for me it may come down to the risk of more bone loss and possible broken hip if I fall or having the surgery. I know it's a minor operation compared to some major ones I've had, but at 73 I just want a break from what seems like a constant barrage of medical issues. 

When my daughter had her's done they were able to monitor levels before the surgery was finished so they were able to identify the abnormal glands.

Valued Contributor

@VancouverUSAgal wrote:

I've been dragging my feet since Oct..Told the Dr. after the winter and the snow is gone..My date is April 13th..It's not a Friday ..LOL..I've had too many major surgeries in 6 yrs.plus learning how to walk again..It was better than losing my foot...I wanted to have a year with seeing the inside of a hospital...

I hope I don't chicken out..