Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced dizzy spells?

[ Edited ]

@geegerbeeFOR YOUR OWN SAKE AND FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD, DO NOT DRIVE.  Please see a neurologist ASAP.  Unexplained dizziness needs immediate attention.  Wishing you the best.

Valued Contributor

@geegerbee   could you be low on potassium or magnesium?

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee It's a really scary thing to get these dizzy spells.  Definitely get checked out by a dr. to try to figure out the cause.  Watch out with the driving!  I would say, if you have to drive, do not drive highway!

One thing to check is to see if you have TMJ.  Something as basic and common as that can cause these dizzy spells -  it's not a well known symptom.  Do you have tightness in your jaw?  Any clicking?  (the misalignment may not even be that obvious tho.  you may not even feel anything in particular)  Who would check you for tjm?  Dentist?  chiropractor?  ?

Take care of yourself!  Hope you're all better very soon Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee I wanted to add, please don't wait until December to check this out.  Maybe your doc can fit you in now or arrange for a phone call to give you some direction and advice. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, after i get water in my ears sometimes while washing my hair, the ear crystals move around.  I use ear plugs now to keep my ears dry, i took a zyrtec after and it helped.  Call your Dr for advise.

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Yes it could be serious...but as we age there are crystals in the ear that become disloged, and cause imbalance....google it....

there is an at home procedure to clear them...but still visit your primary, if not done properly you could harm your neck.  if it is crystals...PT will be covered to fix it...

It may be the inner ear, and it's called Vertigo. I've had it off and on for years, and they have a pill called Meclizine for it. It takes me about a week to shake it. Also  there is a manuver you can do at home, takes very little time, called the Epley manuver. You would be wise to see your Dr. too. Get on the computer at Web MD and put in vertigo. 

Trusted Contributor

yes i get them.. i blame it on menapause or sometimes before my period i get them.. i never went to the doc... but only because im starting menapause.. there were times i had to lay down and it went away

Honored Contributor

Please schedule an appointment with your Dr. Could be issues with blood  sugar, blood pressure, inner ear, and multiple other things. 

Super Contributor

I started having them about 3 months ago.  Went to my primary and she said it is most likely vertigo.  The first time it happened, I went to the ER and all the tests came back normal.  Dr. Thought it was from positional blood pressure dropping.  I ended up going to an ENT doctor who wants me to do vestibular testing.  I've been okay for about a month so I'm going to wait on the testing which takes about 2 hours and Isn't very pleasant.  My doctor prescribed Meclizine which really helps but you need to take it as soon ask you feel an episode coming on.  

Regular Contributor

If it was me I would see an MD now. I had a severe vertigo attack after eating out. It lasted 3 days. Pressure forced my head down to the hardwood floor. If I tried to lift it then everything was spinning. I did not know at the time that I had caught a virus in my inner ear that entered my nervous system. It took me months to regain full equilibrium because I stayed home instead of getting immediate medical care. During the winter months here the narrow roads are ice and snow packed making the drive unbearable for the 2 hour drive to the hospital. I foolishly opted to stay home and tough it out. It took me several months to regain enough balance to stand upright. My friend's husband in Chicago had a similar incident but he went to the ER. They pumped him full of solution and he was home nearly symptom free a few hours later. If it is only mild BPPV you may learn a simple two minute head maneuver--there are several--Brandt-Dorf, Epley, etc. that the MD or physical therapist will carefully select for your symptoms. You can be on your way to recovery. What does help me is sleeping with my head raised on a few extra pillows and drinking more water. VEDA Society is a good resource for information. So many causes from crystals in your ear canals needing repositioning to auditory issues, cervical issues, vision issues, neurological issues, etc. Just know that your experience is shared by others. And the sooner resolved the better.