Valued Contributor

I recently had an appointment with my oncologist and asked a question for a friend.  My friend has a problem with the weight of her prosthesis.  My oncologist said now you can get knitted ones which a lot of women like.  If you do a search for Hand Knitted Prosthesis it will come up on Google.  Hope this helps someone.

Trusted Contributor

@kismet  Definitely checkout Knitted Knockers which was started by someone who had a breast masectomy & found that anything she tried after was so uncomfortable that she came up w/something that worked for her & has worked for many others.  

Valued Contributor

This is what I was talking about but thought if I posted the name it would take the message off.  

Trusted Contributor

@kismet  I am not a knitter, would like to be, our local yarn shop hosts weekly sessions for the prosthesis to be made & shipped to whomever needs them - no charges at all.

Honored Contributor

'Breast' is not a 'four-letter word'.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand knitted prosthesis

[ Edited ]

@colleena : Thank you for this information. I have really bad back problems and my prostheses being heavy is really difficult to wear, even the supposed lighter weight prosthesis. I just placed order.

Just received confirmation email and order will take 3 to 4 weeks.

@colleena wrote:

@kismet  Definitely checkout Knitted Knockers which was started by someone who had a breast masectomy & found that anything she tried after was so uncomfortable that she came up w/something that worked for her & has worked for many others.  

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee Hoping it helps you.  & maybe I really do need to learn to knit as I didn't realize there was that long a turnover.  

Honored Contributor

@colleena : Thank you. I have two friends that tried to teach me how to knit.

@colleena wrote:

@SouthernBee Hoping it helps you.  & maybe I really do need to learn to knit as I didn't realize there was that long a turnover.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand knitted prosthesis

[ Edited ]

I was just trying on my "faux girls" the other day and good grief--are those things heavy---also the bra I have to hold them is way too small around for me now. I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction  and  will be needing something to wear the  dress I have  to my sons wedding. Normally I don't bother, going flat is not a big deal, but my dress really needs that silhouette. So think I will go to the website and look.

P.S.--Just ordered a set yesterday---now will have to find a bra to match the size.

Honored Contributor

Just an update--I got my set of knitted knockers yesterday. Took about 2 weeks or so and the maker of them lives north of me about 3 hours away. They are pretty big so wondering if I gave them the wrong size--but you can take the stuffing out to customize them--they are nearly the color of my skin too. I will take them when I go find a bra ---should be a hoot! So much lighter in weight. would be great if they work----Woman Wink