Honored Contributor

I've always avoided the hard as a rock calcium tablets; I doubt they ever dissolve.  For many years I've taken the liquid caps, figuring that would assimilate quickly in the intestines.  

I'm running low and noticed a Lessman calcium capsule of very fine powder ..... anyone have any experience with this type of calcium?   

How do you take your calcium these days?

Valued Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU TAKE CALCIUM?

I've used Andrew';s calcium for years and take it with my other vitamins.  I've never had an issue with his product.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've always avoided the hard as a rock calcium tablets; I doubt they ever dissolve.  For many years I've taken the liquid caps, figuring that would assimilate quickly in the intestines.  

I'm running low and noticed a Lessman calcium capsule of very fine powder ..... anyone have any experience with this type of calcium?   

How do you take your calcium these days?

I take the Life Extension calcium, which is made up of fine powder. They work great! Keeps my bone density in check. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just a heads-up for those who take thyroid meds. Do not take your thyroid meds four hours before or after taking calcium. Calcium impedes the absorption of levothyroxin.

Honored Contributor

I have absorption problems so doctor told me to avoid inexpensive vitamins and supplements.  He told me to take Citrical because they absorb easily.  I take 3 of the minis a day because they are easy to swallow.  I take 3 because I tend to be low in calcium.  The normal dose is 2 a day.  I also take them with a meal although I probably don't have to do that.  

Honored Contributor

I take the old school hard as rock large tabs as you described. Yes, they do dissolve, try dissolving one in a glass of cold water, they instantly dissolve and it they do in cold water, they will in the bodys warm water. I take mine along with Magnesium, Vit K1 and K2, and Vit D3. that is the best formula for absorption and getting its full benefits. 

And remember not to take more than 500 to 600 mg at a time for best absorption. My bone density has had very lttte changes since 50, now 68. 

Honored Contributor

Hard as a rock calcium tablets.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TUMS.

I know they work b/c I worked in place where I did plasmapheresis on people who donated plasma to a blood bank. During the procedure the donor's blood calcium level would drop so I would give them TUMS to bring the calcium level back up. It happens very fast. My rheumy also told me to take them.

Trusted Contributor

Also take Andrew Lessman's.

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago they came out with a study of women 65 and older who had taken calcium tablets and they found out many were dying of heart attacks and had evidence of calcium in their heart muscles  Since reading that I have stopped taking calcium tablets and get it through food only (like green leafy vegetables, milk, etc.)