Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOW COMMON IS TB TESTING?

@Tinkrbl44 - I do remember my kids having TB tests when they had their annual exam every year.

One year my oldest daughter was in 2nd grade (I think) and had the standard test with that little gizmo on her skin. After about 3 days my other daughter looks at me and tells me her sister's arm looks red and funny. Sure enough she was having a positive to the test. Off to the doctor we go and they do the needle test - Mantoux test (?). She had to have this done 2 x and they kept track by using a marker on her skin. It grew to be a large area.

She spent a year on medication. We were all tested as well as other family members and were negative. So, where would she have come into contact with someone. Who knows.

Respected Contributor

I am a retired teacher.  We were required to get a TB test yearly.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 - I do remember my kids having TB tests when they had their annual exam every year.

One year my oldest daughter was in 2nd grade (I think) and had the standard test with that little gizmo on her skin. After about 3 days my other daughter looks at me and tells me her sister's arm looks red and funny. Sure enough she was having a positive to the test. Off to the doctor we go and they do the needle test - Mantoux test (?). She had to have this done 2 x and they kept track by using a marker on her skin. It grew to be a large area.

She spent a year on medication. We were all tested as well as other family members and were negative. So, where would she have come into contact with someone. Who knows.

@riley1 

Plus all the masks and social distancing of the last year and a half, I can't imagine how I could have "caught" anything ...  from anyone. 

My only health crisis of this time period were two bug bites.  I survived.  lol 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee That's the TB test I remember. I haven't had one in many years, but I always tested positive. My father had TB when I was little so my brother and I were exposed. So, there are a lot of medications I wouldn't be able to take because of that. 

Trusted Contributor

My son (22) tested positive for latent tb
TB positive chest X-rays negative
We live So Cal Hmmm
We think he might have gotten it in Mexico when he went to help down there
Trusted Contributor

He has since taken 3 months of medicine to keep it from turning into active
Honored Contributor

Found this in Science Daily article -

The global COVID-19 pandemic could significantly increase the global burden of tuberculosis (TB) due to disruptions to health services, and delays to diagnosis and treatment, according to new estimates published in the European Respiratory Journal.

Before COVID-19, over 4,000 people were dying from TB every day. In countries where health services are strained, there is a fear that TB cases and deaths could rise significantly.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and Lancaster University estimated additional TB deaths and cases in China, India and South Africa over the next five years. They examined the impact of various reductions in social contacts and impacts on health services due to COVID-19.

The researchers hypothesised that social distancing might reduce TB incidence as Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacteria which causes the disease, is transmitted via droplets in the air -- similar to the coronavirus.

However, even after taking into account this potential reduced TB transmission, the most likely scenario was estimated to result in more than 110,000 additional TB deaths.

Honored Contributor

Not very common at all unless the patient reports exposure to a TB patient.  The hospital I work for stopped yearly TB tests about 5 years ago because in something like 20 years, not a single employee had TB.  It became a waste of money and time.   I'm in a medical record review position, I've never seen a doctor order a TB test.  

Super Contributor

No, you do not have to get sick when having TB.

My rheumy tested for everything under the sun when I first started going to her, including HIV!  If you have TB, if you go on a biologic or any of the chemo meds for a rheumatoid issue, TB can erupt in your system.

When I was diagnosed with RA, I was found to have latent TB, something I probably picked up from one of the inmates as I often went into the lockup in my job.

What a horrible protocol it was to eradicate, months of going every week taking 11 pills a week.  Worst of all, I never did go on the RA meds, told my doc when things get really bad, I'll consider it.

Honored Contributor

Back quite a few years ago - maybe close to 30 years or so - new doc did a TB test.  If I recall, it was a patch test. 

I don't remember anythng particular about it except our discussion .... when I asked her why the test  ..... she asked me if I rode the Lexington Ave. line.