Honored Contributor

Re: HOW COMMON IS TB TESTING?

@SilleeMee wrote:

TB can lay dormant in your body for an undetermined amount of time during which you will have no symptoms or sickness but will test positive with a TB test. Dormant TB infection is called latent TB infection which is not infectious...you can't give it to someone else. Latent infections have the potential to become infectious when the infected person develops a weakened immune system. That can happen years after the primary infection.

My mother always tested positive for TB, yet she never had it--meaning she never had any of the symptoms of the disease.  Her father had it (he died when she was three) and she always figured she had been exposed to it from him.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

People who work in the local school district are required to have a TB test every four years. Don't know why, but they do.

@World Traveler 

Hmm.  I wonder how often they have a positive result.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Unless things have changed, TB tests are done by doing a skin test with a poke to the inner-lower-arm with a small amount of fluid (tuberculin). Then you go back 48-72 hours after to have the injection site looked at for a reaction (red spot of a certain size) to determine if you have been exposed to the tuberculosis bacteria. 

TB infections have been on the rise and is more common in certain areas of the US. 

@SilleeMee 

Well, this will be interesting.  I am almost positive that they are going to draw blood.  My appt is Monday at 2pm.  

Frequent Contributor

I had to have one when I started working at the school.   Do you have a med express or something similar in your area.   That is where I went.  Had a skin ****** and when back in 72 hours to have the nurse look at my arm.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do know that the school employees who are pregnant or for some other reason are not to have the test because of some underlying problems, don't have to take the test, but are required to present a letter from their doctor that states they are not perceived to have TB. They are still required to answer the school nurse's questions about any possible symptoms.

The employees are not required to pay for the testing. Since it is mandatory, the school district foots the bill. 

Respected Contributor

Since a rheumatologist is ordering the test, it made me recall that my mother had to stop taking her arthritis medications for a period of time before she could have surgery. I think these medications possibly lower the immune response. If someone had TB in their body, could the medications cause it to become active? Since you haven't been prescribed yet, these could be good questions to ask your new doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Unless things have changed, TB tests are done by doing a skin test with a poke to the inner-lower-arm with a small amount of fluid (tuberculin). Then you go back 48-72 hours after to have the injection site looked at for a reaction (red spot of a certain size) to determine if you have been exposed to the tuberculosis bacteria. 

TB infections have been on the rise and is more common in certain areas of the US. 

@SilleeMee 

Well, this will be interesting.  I am almost positive that they are going to draw blood.  My appt is Monday at 2pm.  

@Tinkrbl44 

There is a blood test for TB which has a 99% specificity as compared to 88% (on average depending on test product) specificity of a skin test. TB blood tests are not routinely done. Skin tests are the most common method of testing. Blood tests are the more accurate of the two methods of detection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The TB blood test is relatively new, FDA approved in 2001. So it's new to me as well. I've been briefly reading about it and the TB blood test may soon be the method of testing for adults b/c of the cost-effectiveness of it. The results are clear cut rather than having a red spot on your skin examined to determine a result which can be subjective at times leading to errors in reporting. Blood test results are also one and done rather than having to go back later to have a skin test 'read' which requires time and money on both sides of the fence.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

TB can lay dormant in your body for an undetermined amount of time during which you will have no symptoms or sickness but will test positive with a TB test. Dormant TB infection is called latent TB infection which is not infectious...you can't give it to someone else. Latent infections have the potential to become infectious when the infected person develops a weakened immune system. That can happen years after the primary infection.

My mother always tested positive for TB, yet she never had it--meaning she never had any of the symptoms of the disease.  Her father had it (he died when she was three) and she always figured she had been exposed to it from him.

@geezerette  I had a Family Day Care when I lived in Florida and had to be tested for TB. I tested positive and the Dr gave me an exray and that was negative, so they told me when ever a TB test was required, I should ask for an exray instead and that´s what I always did.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 @There is more than one kind of TB test. One type is called a tuberculin skin test. It's usually done as a requirement for a job. It tests for latent TB. With latent TB you do not usually feel sick. You might not even know you have TB. This test is done with a pin ******. After pricking, if positive, there's a reaction on the skin days after the test. The other type of TB involves a blood test and this tests for active TB. You might feel ill will active TB. If either type of test comes back positive, XRays will be done. It's standard practice to test for TB before starting biologic medications. It’s standard to test you for a tuberculosis infection because biologics suppress the immune system. If you’re found to be infected, your doctor will treat you for latent TB before starting the biologic drug in order to prevent a latent infection from becoming active. Treatments for rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases often involve biologics. I don't know the purpose for your visit, but a rheumatologist might routinely rule out TB in many  patients because many patients that visit a rheumatologist are treated with biologics.