Honored Contributor

HOSTESS Hamburger and hotdog buns recalled. Possible Listeria and Salmonella contamination.

[ Edited ]

1F38F214-9DA2-4584-AB82-E1C56BDAC93D.jpeg7C4D0A4B-D717-4B58-BA9A-9E4D7C26BF1D.jpeg

Hot dog and hamburger buns from Hostess are being recalled due to possible Listeria and Salmonella contamination. Here is the FDA page about the recall with lot numbers and contact information. Hostess says it became aware of this issue from one of its partners, Best Harvest Bakeries. Best Harvest Bakeries only manufactures some products for Hostess so no other products are included in this recall. Hostess bread and bagel products are NOT included in this recall. You should know that Best Harvest makes buns for some of the biggest companies and government agencies there are.

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/voluntary-recall-hostessr-hambur...

Respected Contributor

Re: Hamburger and hotdog buns recalled. Possible Listeria contamination.

Is it just me who feels this way or have others noticed...it seems every other week this spring/summer there's some food recall with some bacteria or something??

Seems like way more than usual...and it's across all different categories. Weird.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Hamburger and hotdog buns recalled. Possible Listeria contamination.

[ Edited ]

@amyb @None of this is new or is happening more now then before but I am posting here about it and the news media is reporting on it more than in the past because readers are interested in this subject. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HOSTESS Hamburger and hotdog buns recalled. Possible Listeria and Salmonella contamination.

@Mindy D   We don't eat bread (unless it is whole grain sprouted and that rarely)....but I appreciate you keeping us apprised of these recalls.  Important for us to keep our immune systems strong with all the challenges our country is currently facing.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOSTESS Hamburger and hotdog buns recalled. Possible Listeria and Salmonella contamination.

As usual @Mindy D , I wanted to once again thank you for posting and for sharing this important information with us.

I would not know of some of these recalls if it wasn't for reading about them here, thanks to you taking the time to post about them.

I believe that this is actually the first time that I have ever heard/read about either Salmonella or Listeria being in a bread product like this...

I guess that I never thought that that could happen, as we usually hear about these kinds of things happening with meat and lunchmeat--products like that.

Thanks again for the information.

Honored Contributor

That's a new one - a recall on bread.  The only bread problem I've known personally is mold.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

As usual @Mindy D , I wanted to once again thank you for posting and for sharing this important information with us.

I would not know of some of these recalls if it wasn't for reading about them here, thanks to you taking the time to post about them.

I believe that this is actually the first time that I have ever heard/read about either Salmonella or Listeria being in a bread product like this...

I guess that I never thought that that could happen, as we usually hear about these kinds of things happening with meat and lunchmeat--products like that.

Thanks again for the information.

@Toppers3 @Mindy D  I agree! While BJ's is very good about getting the word out on recalls, I've usually read about it already in one of Mindy's posts. Thank you for taking the time to research this information and make it available to us.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

That's a new one - a recall on bread.  The only bread problem I've known personally is mold.  Smiley Sad

Yeah. I'm not sure how that kind of contamination can happen with bread. As a rule bread products are baked to an internal temp of around two hundred degrees. (Typically 205-210 degrees F.) That's more than hot enough to kill those issues. It's then cooled before being bagged, so unless the contamination happened in the cooling/bagging process, it's hard to imagine it being a real-world issue. And frankly, it's hard to understand how it could happen in the cooling/bagging process.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm guessing they found contamination in one of the raw ingredients and out of an abundance of caution are recalling anything made with that ingredient. In the real world, it's hard to imagine anyone having an issue with a product that was baked even with a contaminated raw ingredient, but better safe than sorry I guess. There have been no cases of illness from those products though so the baking in all likelihood killed whatever contamination there was. Generally speaking, the mixing area is separated from the cooling/bagging area so the possibility of cross-contamination would be pretty small.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!