Respected Contributor

I have 2 gold crowns on my back molars.  They have held up for 20 +  years with NO problems.  I would not get gold crowns on front teeth.  I would not like that look.

Frequent Contributor
Solid Zirconia is as hard (within 1%) as gold, the fit is more accurate and is tooth colored. Over 15,000 have been made at a local dental lab and not ever had one break.
Regular Contributor

Kismet, while gold crowns do last longer than porcelain, gold fillings reminds me of my dad, old. I've had quite a lot of dental work, crowns, bridges, root canals and I've always chosen porcelain. A beautiful mouth of white teeth is what I find attractive.

As mentioned, you are the customer, you decide and do what's best for you. I don't know that a dentist would recommend gold on a young person. They always just seem to think it's ok once you are a "certain" age. Good luck whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

If I ever need a crown, I will request a porcelain one..not porcelain over metal.  My dentist fabricates this type right in his office and you do not need a temporary crown.

Gold crowns are great, but too expensive and at my age, they do not have to last the next 30 years as I probably will not be here.

I have only one crown that is on a back molar.  it has been in place for at least 30 years.  It is 100% stainless steel.  I am thankful that it was not gold or porcelain.  

My old dentist placed a filling on the tooth, but did not do it correctly. There was an open space..a small tunnel that was in between the teeth.  This caused a lot of damage to my tooth and it was repaired and the SS crown was placed.

A few months later, I developed severe pain in that tooth.  I needed a root canal on a tooth that had a crown on it.

The crown was drilled through on top and the root canal was completed.  A new amalgam filling was placed on the tooth with the crown still intact.  So, now I have a crown with a filling on top.  It is the last tooth in the back and not visible.

If my crown was not SS, it would have been ruined.  That SS crown cost me over $500 all those years ago.  I was still making payments on it when it was drilled into.  I think I got my money's worth.

Honored Contributor

My dentist recently put a gold crown on my back molar. I wanted the porcelain so it would match all my other teeth. He said that gold is stronger and since I love to eat nuts and other things that require strength to break down, he said the porcelain would not hold up as long as the gold. So I went with the gold. In my case, it was not more expensive to go with the gold.

We also talked about my upper molar and that it would probably need to be replaced in the next couple of years. He wants that to be gold also.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gold vs Porcelain Crown

[ Edited ]

My dentist makes crowns right there while you wait  same day. They are called CEREC.  He said he has a newer machine now that makes porcelain crowns that are much much stronger than the ones he use to make in office and they will never break.  I had to have a 20 year old crown that he put in....replaced a month ago  that finally broke that was on a molar. My Dentist said the new crown is 10 times better than the  crowns he put in  from years ago.

CEREC dental crowns are used to repair and restore damaged or weakened teeth. These crowns are metal-free and made out of a high-quality ceramic material. CEREC crowns are stronger and more natural-looking than traditional dental crowns.Aug 27, 2019

But still ,I got 20 years out of the old crown...

I see no reason to have an ugly gold crown in your mouth!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have four gold back molar crowns, uppers touching the bottoms that have been successful for over 40 years!!  Never had an issue.  I also have a porcelain crown and that's been good too.  But the gold tend to "give" slightly as my mouth moves instead of being fixed absolutely rigid and I have a very bad case of TMJ and Bruxism.  Why I have all this and at a very early age (late teens) was due to a dentist drilling striations and not cavaties which destroyed my back teeth, made them too weak to hold up to the Bruxism.  I've been very, very happy with the gold crowns and told my family that if I keel over, be sure to pull the gold out of my mouth before they carry me away.... (j/k Woman Wink)

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

One more thing.... the gold can't be seen smiling and I don't have any that can be seen from talking or smiling.  Again, I've been extremely happy with all four of my gold crowns!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I have a crown on a top molar that is gold on the biting surface and on the inner side, but the side you see is porcelain. The dentist said it is better to have a stronger biting surface.

Esteemed Contributor

One other thing to consider what the opposite surface is.  Porcelain can wear down enamel.